Big block power? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 00, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Ok, ok, I can't stand it any more. I've been watching a couple of guys getting their engine's power simulated and I've been a bit apprehensive at getting mine done. Mainly because I've already got my components and the machine work is done...now I'm just screwing it together (albeit slowly). So, would anyone care to run my numbers for me? I'd really appreciate it. Here are my numbers:

454 .030 over (460-461 cubes)
Extreme grind 262 Gross Valve Lift: intake .504 exh .510
duration @ .050 Intake 218 Exh. 224
Lobe lift Intake .297 Exh. .300
LSA = 110
stock large oval port #781 heads with stock valves (2.06 Intake 1.72 Exhaust) with 3 angle valve job and new springs to match the cam, roller tipped rockers
Holley 750 cfm vacuum secondary carb
1 5/8" primaries w/3" collectors into 2 1/4" pipes
edelbrock performer rpm intake
points ignition
the reciprocating assembly has been balanced

My intent was to build a strong street motor for a daily driver for my '69 - ok...the moment of truth. How bad did I do?

------------------
'69 Restification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 00, 01:19 PM
Senior Tech
Joel

I put mine back bone stock and I think im going to try to fire it up this weekend.nothin sweeter than a solid lifter piston slapin big block sound. http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/...2/22251271.jpg

[This message has been edited by allcamaro (edited 12-08-2000).]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 00, 02:22 PM
Banned

Smile

It's a sweet little street engine at about 384hp at 5000rpm and 470t at 2500rpm. (8.5CR.).

Its darn near perfect for the street. Dyno2000 can't really figure the EX cams very well but I do figure you are right at 400hp and 475/490t. pdq67

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 00, 06:38 AM
Tech Team

I have a 70 Z-28 body with a 454 similar to the one above that had a cam go flat.I replaced the cam but afraid to drive it because of the danger of having metal in the bearings. I have the 350 that i took out with less than3000 mi. on it and a set of vortec heads. Since CHP got 384 hp from a similar motor does this mean the 350 will run as quick as the 454?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 00, 08:07 AM
Banned

Smile

No, Look at the torque differences if the car is "geared and tired" right to use all of it. pdq67

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 00, 09:25 AM

I pretty much agree with pdq67. Around 400hp and 500#. Another couple of things about Dyno2000. It models it's dual plane after the Edelbrock performer intake. And everyond knows how much better the RPM intake really is. So I'd say that and the new rockers will help out the HP numbers a little. Also I've seem to get more accurate numbers when I use the "Larger Tube Headers/Open exhaust" instead of the "Mufflers" setting. Anyway that's been my experience. Will definately be a nice street motor. Lots of torque, great cam. One day your gonna want to get some real cylinder heads though. Good luck and have fun!

------------------
1971 Corvette
383ci, 10:1, DFI, AFR190 heads, CompCams XE282 H-roller, 3000 stall, 3.70 gears
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 00, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking

Gentlemen - appreciate your help very much. Now I'm especially motivated - heads go on tomorrow...Jon

------------------
'69 Restification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode