HELP!! ON BIG BLOCK MOTOR MOUNTS?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 00, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Question

I'm going from a SB to a BB (454) in my 69 camaro. As some of you might of noticed. I need to know if I can use, or need a new frame bracket for the Big Block motor mounts, you know what the motor mounts sit on.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

One other thing is, I have motor mounts from
NAPA, for a 454 from a 70 camaro. Motor mounts are motor mounts right. They are the same for all 454's and should not matter what year my car is; which is a 69 camaro.
This is what I'm hopeing. Yet, I am not sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 00, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech

The 69 frame mounts are in a design all their own. I've heard you can take 67/68 frame mounts and use them on a 69, but then you must also use the 67/68 engine mounts. The same goes for the reverse.

If you mix-match 67/68 engine mounts with 69 frame mounts or vice-versa, you will have fit problems.

I can't answer about the 70 on up mounts, I've never dealt with any of the second gen cars and swapping engines.

You might do a search and look back at some previous posts under engine & drivetrain. This topic has been answered before.

Good Luck

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 00, 05:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Procharged, I'm not real sure about 69's, but 67 & 68's do use a shorter frame mount than small blocks. I'm sure It's for clearance reasons. I also have a 72 RS, and the motor mounts are alot different than the 67's. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 00, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
GM part #'s 03980941 and 03980942 should work. I believe they are 67-8 but can't remember. Still available last time i bought some a few months ago.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 03:03 AM

One of the 67-68 mounts is no longer availabe. I don't remeber which number it is though. I have spent the last two weeks hunting them and was unsuccessfull. I tried all the usual sources and every one had one but GM has discountinued the other. In fact a rep from one company told 'we don't have them and good luck finding any". I finally found a company that is custom making me one by taking two new small block ones and putting them together. $$$$ Hope this saves someone some time.

[This message has been edited by JamesK (edited 04-07-2000).]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 05:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Classic Industries has both the 67-8 and the 69 big block mounts listed in their Catalog. May be worth a call.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 01:15 AM
Senior Tech

JamesK,

You might want to try Patti over at firewheelclassics.com . I know she had both sets of motor mounts for the 67-68 at one time (recently).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 03:41 AM
Senior Tech

Good call, try Firewheelclassics, they are close to you, and they have most of their stock onhand. It's off of Highway 190 in Garland, they've got a real nice business over there, I recommend them highly! KZ
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech

I once had a big block 69 (on small block frame mounts) i know the big block mounts have a lower profile, but i was able to fit the valve cover under the booster by knocking a dent in the rear of the v/c. For engine mounts, I used MOROSO solid motor mounts. good vibrations
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 04:42 AM

I just got off the phone with firewheel classics and got the same story. One side has been discountinued by GM and there is no one planning to offer a reproduction. You can find them listed in everyone's catalog but they don't have them. The company making me one is supposed to have it to me by next week and I will post the outcome.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 09:46 AM

I performed the same change last year in a 69 Camaro. Initially the camaro had a home built 302. I dropped the 454 in on the same frame mounts and used the engine motor mounts from the 302. All will work ok, I had no clearance problems even with tall valve covers for roller rockers. BBC frame mounts would even help more since they are lower profile.
The car was a manual steer/brake car.

I also did this swap to a 67 RS I used to have and did have clearance problems with the wiper motor. I couldn't use tall valve covers on it with removing the motor.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 08:24 AM

You will feel a big difference when you mount a 454 bb right on the frame without the rubber spaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode