Has anyone repaired a rearview mirror - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

My mirror is discolored on the inside rearview mirror. It looks like it should come apart so I could have the mirrored glass replaced rather than buy the complete unit but I was concerned about damage as it did not seem to want to come out too easily. Has anyone repaired these? The housing is still fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 03:35 AM
Senior Tech
TOM

Cool

I just replaced mine,not the cheapest way out, but the time you spend taking the thing apart and having glass made and reinstalled,the cost may not be worth it in the end. YEAR ONE lists them for $79.95. good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 04:30 AM

You can remove the mirror glass from the shell. I just had mine out. The problem is that the mirror is much thicker on the bottom than the top. I opted to purchase a new complete setup, but it has been on back order for a month.

Jammer

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech

There is a guy out there, a Mirror Restorer. That's all he does. I met him at Vett's at Carlisle two years ago. He's well known to that community. I have lost the number since I started slumming with...

(Opps! What file am I in right now?)

I tossed everything Vett since I upgraded my auto status and joined with the best group of enthusists...

Seriously, he has a stand at Carlisle-Vetts. Go to their web page, get a listing of all their vendors at the show and contact him direct. I don't think the cost was bad but this is clearly for those of you who want original - original, no compromising. His work looked great.

Rick O'Loughlin
Amherst NH
69 RS-SS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Well, this is my input, cheap but it's working. I removed the faded glass by heating it with a hair dryer and a flat screwdriver. Then, I went to a local glass store and they cutted a piece of mirror the same shape and glued it for $5. The only problem is that the rear view mirror ***'y lost it's ability to protect me from rear comming dumb drivers with the high beams on. I told you it was cheap but I'm planning to put a piece of smoked film, like the one used to smoke car windows just in case.

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 06-06-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech

If you have the day/nite mirror, its not too hard to remove the glass. I peeled back the rubber edging (?) and put a thin knife between the glass & frame. I worked the knife around the edge, peeling the rubber back as i went. Took me 5 minutes for the first & about 2 for the second. I had the mirror resilvered locally.

For resilvering, look in the yellow pages or visit an antique shop. Antique shops send mirrors out for resilvering frequently, they should be able to give you a name. Total cost for 2 mirrors was way cheap.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
68 Camaro
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Thanks everyone. I'll give the repair a try. The originality isn't the issue. I'd rather spend the $ on the motor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode