68 E-Check - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thumbs down

I live in Northern Kentucky... which has just started the e-check.... Beleive it or not, they are going to make me e-check my 68 Camaro. Anyone had any experience with this????(just my luck, NKY is e-checking 68 and newer) My car is far from original with (items I fear may affect the check)... a radical cam, double pumper, headers, fuel cell, and no smog pump. (was it supposed to have one in 68?) (v8 car made in Norwood). I just wonder what is going to happen when I lope into the e-check booth! Advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

this is not good! I lived in Utah where they have the smog dog. I had a 72 skylark with only PCV valve and evap canister and they nailed me every year. the car was bone stock and running very well it just seemed to me that their standards were outrageous. I truely don't see how they can do this on cars that were not emissions regulated during production. I am sorry to hear your dilema

------------------
68 RS Ash Gold
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:45 AM
Senior Tech

Here in Colorado they do a smog check on older cars but only a sniff test - no visual or equipment check. They also allow you to choose "collector car" plates which only require a retest every 5 years. Often you can retard the timing and lean the heck out of the jetting and squeak thru.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed; '99 HD Road King Classic
www.geocities.com/sdenning1

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

We have the same system here in Anchorage. (That's why I have a 67)

Check with your Dept.of Motor Vehicles and see if they have "seasonal" license plates or something on the same line. We also have historical vehicle plates avail (i've been told) that are also emission exempt. Only these allow only a certain amount of miles per year to be driven.

Do you have any counties close by that still have no e-check laws? If so, license the car in that county.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73

[This message has been edited by cardude (edited 04-07-2000).]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs down

Oops..

[This message has been edited by cardude (edited 04-07-2000).]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Here in the Phoenix area cars from 67 to 74 have no visual inspection only sniffer. Hopefully its the same for you, if not, i think only cars with california emmission need a smog pump. I have made my camaro in the past, pass with my holley. Leaning out so much it will barely run. Now i have a Carter 625 i use only for emmisions. I use stock jetting and some metering rods that a local speed shop (Lopers) recommended. I don't know the part number off hand but if you want it i'll look it up. I leave the spring out of the metering rod piston just to make sure it doesn't richen up during the test. The car actually cruises fine, I thought it was going to fail, but it passes every time. I do up the idle on my most radical car to 1100 rpm just to make sure, but don't touch anything else. It has 10.1 compression, solid roller race grind 252/258 @ .050 .630 lift, 106 degree LSA. 36 degree total timing. If this car passes, almost anything should pass. You can probably get a Carter on ebay for under $100. But try it the way it is first, if your lobe seperation is 110 degrees or more it will probably pass. Just turn up the idle. The standards for 68 are not very strict.

------------------
67 410sb 11.76 @116.6
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

They got your 68 because the federal clean air laws went into effect for model years after 1967.

I don't think smog pumps were used until 1969. On early cars w/o a smog pump, the only emissions control required was a PCV valve (or a road draft tube). If you have one, you will do fine there.

One of the items I have been hit with is the open air cleaner. The closed air cleaner had a warm air tube connected to one of the exhaust manifolds. This is usually considered emissions equipment since it helps the car warm up faster. I have been sucessful by simply replacing the open element with a closed filter assembly for the test. I swap them back out afterwards.

Unless your car is grossly out of tune, I think you will be surprised at how clean it runs and I doubt it is grossly out of tune.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 11:07 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
do you have antique plates? i live in Louisville, KY and when i applied for plates for my 68 i was told that with antique plates you are not required to do E-testing, but that may only apply around here. thats not good if you have to do it up there.

------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

CARB got slammed several years ago here in California. A bill was passed unanimously by the CA house and senate to do away with smog testing on 1973 and older cars. The law also allows cars 25 years and older to bypass inspection so in 2015 a 1980 car will be exempt. If we could pull all of the members of this and other sites with similar interests we would become a force that would be listened to in our state capitals. If it can be done in CA, it can be done anywhere.

------------------
To see a picture of my car http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech

You really need to call the state agency incharge of the smog testing. They should be able to tell you what you are facing. Smog equipment can vary if the car if a car had an automatic or stick, open element air cleaner vs. closed element, etc. Don't rely on word of mouth from your friends, go directly to the source, since theirs is the only opinion that matters. Don't give them any information about what you have, ie. year of engine, size of engine, trans etc. If you do they may tailor their answer to what they think you have. It is better for you to tailor your response to the smog station as to what is least complicated to pass. Also write your state representative, tell them you want the law changed to what California now has. You are registered to vote, right.

Steve R.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 00, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I went thru the nightmare before laws changed in calif. I ended up swapping motors to register mine. Thank God that's over. My 67 RS was originally equipped with smog pump when new. It was stamped on engine. ML, decoded, is 275 H.P. 327 with 4-speed & air injection. (smog pump). Check your engine suffix code. The 2 letters stamped where your vin is located on front of motor, just below right head. This of course, if you have original motor. Just for information, california started requiring smog pumps on certain cars as early as 66. (My brothers 66 SS 396 chevelle had one.) What we could'nt believe is it was still on car in 1984. I hope it works out for you.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech

Man , that sucks bigtime for all of you,. you know what really chaps my *** , is that your car can be a classic and get nailed for smog tests, but some big ol 18 wheeler rig can stink up a block in one pump of the gas that our cars can do in a day....

I am convinced its all about good intentions, but ends up like everything else, greasing some corrupted politicians pocket..

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 02:54 PM
Tech Team
Will

Garage
Here in Illinois they have testing in industrial counties and only those towns close to refinery, steel mill or other plant. I thought my puny L-6 230 was going to fail the test and put the test off till the next to the last day before they would suspend your license for non-compliance. All I did was change my air filter, breather filter and PCV and I passed easily. (They only put a sniffer up my tail pipe.) I was told that my car would have passed on up to a 1984 Camaro. I don't have to test again until 2002 and by that time my 68 will be 327 powered. Anyone want to buy a used 230? 67,000 original miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode