Intake and carb for 68 RS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Question

I would like to upgrade a 327 2bbl 68 RS with a new intake manifold and carb. Edelbrock man, Holley 650? Is this reasonable? Do they look good and function well together?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 05:20 PM
David Pozzi

I think you would only get half of what you would expect. Your present heads have smaller valves than a 4 barrel Camaro.
I'd suggest changing the heads too. That would really make the package work.
If you have the powerglide, change to a turbo 350 too.
David
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 00, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

A2 huh? I used to live at State and I94.

------------------
To see a picture of my car http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 07:41 AM

Is the rest of the engine stock? Whats been changed? Whats the stock h.p. or estimated h.p. if you have high performance heads? Is the engine bored at all? I've got at 750 double pumper on mine and with the camels and crossover, ect. Im doing 325 horse. Which is like the best combo I've ever had on any of my 327's. Just like a 350 Super Sport engine.
www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech

I would go with an Edelbrock Performer and either a Holley 600 vac. secondary with electric choke or a 600 Edelbrock carb with an electric choke. This will work just fine with a stock engine. At some point I would think about installing headers and a free flowing exhaust system, and a TH350 if you presently have a powerglide.

Steve R.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 11:01 AM

Hey Steve R, Ive never had a TH350, just powerglides and I loved them. Tell me about the difference and pros/cons? Why the switch? Dont many draggers like them?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech

Baby68RS,

The reason Drag racers use them is for three basic reasons. One they are the most efficient auto trans available (the powertrain losses are less going thru a powerglide than any other auto trans). Two they weigh less than the other autos and three they cam be built to withstand almost any amout of horsepower you want to throw at them (unlike the TH350 especially).

The disadvantage of the powerglides is in their gearing. The OEM first gear ratio is generally either 1.76 to 1 or 1.82 to 1. This compares unfavorably to the TH350 ratio of 2.52 to 1. Drag racers compensate for this by using a lot of rear end gear but us street guys don't have that luxury unless you find 4.56 to 4.88 rear end gearing a pleasant experience. Motors with ALOT of low end torque can get by much easier with the powerglide gearing compared to the low torque motors that GM generally mated with the powerglide.

I can't imaging anyone prefering a powerglide over a TH350 or a TH400 on a street driven car. But that's just my opinion.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech

Baby68rs sr71bb pretty much said it all. I would however add that pulling away from a stoplight with a powerglide in first is like starting in second with a TH350. Besides it is a bolt in, no need for shortening driveshaft, trans crossmember, shifter modifications, etc.

Steve R.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

This is a stock 210hp 327, and its a 4 speed Muncie. I like the idea of the Edelbrock Performer and their 600. I think that is what I am going to go with.
My next project will be the headers. I'll look for some advice a little later on that issue.
Thanks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 05:11 PM
Senior Tech

Rick,

If you had another $450.00 or so to spend, I would seriously consider a set of Vortec heads. They are good for about 40HP on a 350 (should be close to this on a 327). Since you are going to change the intake anyway, you could go ahead and get the intake that is for the Vortec heads. The 600-650 carb would still be a good choice with this combo. A nice cam selection now or later would be a Comp Cams 268 (Intake 224 degrees w/ .470 lift and Exhaust 230 degrees w/ .480 lift all at .050). Motor should make around 330HP with the combo above).
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 06:43 PM
David Pozzi

I'm telling you, you really need better heads. The two barrel heads have about 1.5" intake valves. And the ports are sized for a 283.
The 275 horse 327 had 1.94" intakes in 1968. It used the same shortblock with cam you have now. If you don't do something about those heads, you'll be wasting your money on the other stuff.

I'd do the trans first, I had a 68 210 hp 327 and did this swap years ago. It ran a ton better with just the trans.
Then, I'd do the heads, carb and manifold. If I had a little more money, I'd change the cam while I had the heads off. I'd get a conservitave hydraulic cam. You can gain about 150 hp easily.
I'd forget about headers unless you are getting over 350 hp, I don't think headers will help a realitively stock engine much. I put headers on my 67 275/327 and was dissapointed. You might get 10 hp.

David
David Pozzi's web page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...ge_transam.htm
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Thumbs up

You did'nt mention what you had in mind for your car,but I figure like most of us, you have better acceleration/performance in mind.I have done the upgrades mentioned above on my 67-headers,TH350,Edelbrock carb/intake ect.,and IMO the advise given is right on.
If you have highway gears,i.e.2.73's or so,you might also want to look into a gear change down the road,going from 2.73's to 3.42's knocked over a full second off my 1/4 mile E.T.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching,
4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 04-10-2000).]
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 04:36 PM

everyone is right. we just went through this with a customer and here is what we did. went to chevy and bought a 250 hp crate motor. if you want to convert that hp to the old days add 25%, that takes it up to 312hp.
or there abouts. we put in the "151" chevy
cam from wolverine with a rpm man and 650 carb. roller tip rackers. msd and 6 cylinder
stall with stock manifolds. car has 331 posi with 60's on 14x7 rallys. very cheap build with a guarantee. sold the 327 for $700.
we could not have built the 327 for twice what we spent. you need to look at the whole drivetrain package and what you objective is.
the camaro guy, bruce.

------------------
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Yes, everyone is almost right. With a matching #RS, look toward the future, too. If you got a lot of money, put the 327 on an engine stand and keep it, drop in a crate motor and be happy. If you don't have a lot of money, heads/cam/ manifold/carb on your existing block will give you the performance you want, but KEEP all the original parts. The PG to T350 swap is a good one. I just did a PG to muncie in mine, and it's a whole different car. Gears=Torque, and torque is fun to have...

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 03:51 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Question

1.5" intake valves? Doubt it. 1.94/1.50 were fitted on the 210hp car as opposed to 2.02/1.60.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode