TH350 Problems - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

As a first time user, I'm hoping someone can answer a nagging tranny problem. I have a '68 camaro originally equipped with a 210HP 327 and powerglide. The 327 was completely rebuilt with fairly conservative parts (9:1 comp., Edelbrock Perf. cam and intake, World Prod. Stock 1.94/1.50 valve Heads, Tri-Y Headers, 600 cfm Holley) and the powerglide was replaced with a B&M rebuilt TH350 and a "Saturday Night Special" converter (stall approx. 300rpm above stock). The problem(s) is that 1st gear seems sluggish on acceleration, followed by a nice firm 1-2 shift, and then almost immediately afterwards a barely perceptible 2-3 shift. Also, the kickdown only operates with your foot almost through the floor? This engine has been professionally tuned and should be a screamer up to 4000 rpm.

Thoughts? Answers?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy
Sounds like maybe your T.V cable isn't adjusted properly --just a guess.
I guess that wouldn't explain the sluggish first gear though. Do you have good vacuum to your vacuum modulator? these too can be adjusted. Might be a place to start. These are the "free" fixes I can think of. It may be more internal like a leaking valve body gasket or something. Possibly the governer.
Just my thoughts for whatever they are worth. It has been a while since I was into a tranny.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 09:43 AM
Senior Tech

sounds to me like you have too much camshaft for the 900 converter. I have a 2500 converter and mine romps just fine. i had a stock +a few hundered converter, but it sucked so bad untill I hit 2K I just replaced it with a higher stall,

Now it kicks butt.

Kickdown ?? what is that??? just grab and pull it into lower gear...
------------------

Chris's 67 RS 327, Comp280,Flowmasters,shoddy interior, pepboys carpet and rusty floors and trunk can be seen at http://www.67rs.com
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=camaronet&list

[This message has been edited by Chris Edwards (edited 06-07-2001).]

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 02:21 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Not having your detent cable adjusted right can be bad for the tranny. It isn't a tough job, just find the cable where it links to the throttle on the carb, and take up some slack to get you in the ballpark. Tweak it as you wish afterward.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I don't think the cam and the converter are too far off. The cam specs are 204/212 duration at 0.050 with 0.442 inches lift. Not too different from a stock Chevy 929 cam. My worry was that the extra stall was hurting me. Return to stock stall converter? Rebuild the valve body to the stock configuration? Go for a M22?????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode