69 Pace Car - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Question

I recently purchased a 69 pace car from the original owner, all #'s match. Its a 350 automatic on the column. I thought about changing it to auto on the floor w/ console.Im just curious if anyone knows where I can find out how many were made with auto on the column. Is it rare, all others Ive seen have been on the floor. Appreciate any info! Thanks!!!!!!!

------------------
glow111
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
William

There is no way to tell how many automatic Z11s were column-shifted. In 26 years of 1st gens I've seen 2. So I guess it is fairly unusual.

What I don't understand is why you feel the need to desecrate an original car. Original cars should be left as is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 01, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Calm down, I'm not going to "desecrate" the car. It will stay as is, Ive just always liked the console w/ guages. Thanks for the quick reply.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William:
There is no way to tell how many automatic Z11s were column-shifted. In 26 years of 1st gens I've seen 2. So I guess it is fairly unusual.

What I don't understand is why you feel the need to desecrate an original car. Original cars should be left as is.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 10:03 AM
Kevin

Steve, welcome to the site (there's no hiding here!)

Nice meeting you at the Gathering and I will be giving you a call about the belts soon. I've got to slow down with the Camaro stuff and finish some around the house work.

Later, Kevin

PS. don't tell Mark C. about your original Auto cowl air cleaner either.

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 06-07-2001).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 01, 04:12 PM

I do believe that a column shift pace car is rare, it is really entirely up to you because my dad has a 69 SS-396 thats automatic but i really want him to change it to a four speed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 03:06 AM
Tech Team

Thumbs up

Ahhh... 69 Pace Car... my personal favorite. I almost bought one about ten years ago that had a column shift. The motor was gone and it needed complete restoration. The guy offer it to me for $3,000. I said it was too much and turned it down.

About six months later while shopping for parts for my buddy's 68, I ran across the car again. This guy had bought it and parked it in his garage and just let it sit. He was surprised to hear that I was the one who turned it down. He told me he had just accepted an offer on the car "site unseen" for $8,000. He said the buyer was coming to pick it up the next day.

I sure wish I could have "do overs".

Column shift? Not a big deal with that car. And if I'm not mistaken, weren't the cars with the column shift the first batch of pace cars produced?

Roy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 04:23 AM
Senior Tech

glow111 - my guess is that not many Pace Cars are around with the column shift because nearly everyone feels as you do, that the floor shifter is more desireable and so most were ordered that way. The floor console/gauges/shifter is way cool. I would have no problem making this switch if it were my car, just keep everything you take off when making the conversion so you can go back to original or give it to the next owner. Congrats on owning one of the coolest cars of the era IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode