automatic shifters - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 00, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

hey i have another question. i went to the street legal drags today and getting the itch i want to race my 69 camaro at the next event (may 20-21) and i was thinking about getting a good automatic shifter. my camaro has a console in it, and i was using the stock shifter, dont get me wrong its a fun and good looking shifter, but mine sticks and the button you push in sticks sometimes and it just doesnt feel right when im racing my friends on the street. i was wondering if there was a good shifter that would fit in my caonsole. if i have to cut up the wood bezel around the shifter thats no prob ill just buy a new one. i was also wondering if i could get the wood incert for a 4 speed and have a new comp shifter stick out of that. i really like the way the Hurst Quarter Stick shifter looks, B&M hammer type shifters look really cheep. i was also wondering if someone could explain the the "forward" and "reverse" shifters are. thanks im new to all this racing stuff. all i ever wanted to do was have a clean camaro but now i wanna race it!

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 12:59 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

if you want a good shifter, go with the b&m pro stick. i wish i would of done so. i have a hurst quarter stick, and it's for a turbo 350. well i am now using a powerglide, so that means i have to buy a new shifter or send it back to hurst to be re-worked(35.00). with the b&m shifter, you can buy different shift gates if you change tranny's. the reversed shift pattern is just like it says. instead of p/r/n/3/2/1, it's p/r/n/1/2/3. these are used on high perfomance or race valve bodies for the transmissions.
good luck,
bruce
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 06:00 AM
Tech Team

Hey Bruce,
Did you ever get the email I sent you? I tryed to respond to your email, but it gave me an error every time I tryed to send it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

The Pro stick and Quarter stick are nice durable shifters. Ratchet shifters will not last as long as these with continued manual use, but, the B&M Quick Silver is a nice easy shifter and looks good. I think they make one to fit your console. My bud has a Mega shifter in his '79 console (junk).

------------------
67 410sb 11.63 @117.6
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 09:45 AM
Senior Tech

Lonnie67, why do you think that B&M Megashifters are junk ?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 09:49 AM

I used to have a B&M Quicksilver in a stock 68 console, fit and looked great. I usually remove the console and put in a B&M Z-Gate..simple and bulletproof, and cheap.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thanks guys. ill look around on B&M's website and Hurst for more info on the shifters you recomended. thanks alot!

justin

------------------
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 00, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

man i forgot to ask you if you had to use a different shift cabel with your B&M shifter and i also forgot to ask if you had to drill more holes in the floor to mount it. finally did you use the stock neutral safety switch? thanks for all the help!

------------------
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Ron, I had one about 10 years ago and the ratchet mechanism wore out in a year. It was also very stiff. My friend just bought one, a console model for a 79 camaro, it works fine but is also very stiff, even with the cable disconnected. I've had my quicksilver now for about 8 years, it was never stiff, and it just now is starting to give me a little trouble. Not bad for the abuse I give it.

------------------
67 410sb 11.63 @117.6
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 08:32 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

B&M shifters come with the cable and brackets. You have to buy their neutral safty switch, there is a spot on the shifter for it, easy to install. My car had a 3 spd stick, so I don't know if you need to drill a hole.

------------------
67 410sb 11.63 @117.6
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 02:29 AM
Senior Tech

Lonnie, The reason I was asking is because I've had a Megashifter in my '68 for about 8 years & I haven't had any problems or complaints. I never had any other shifter to compare it too, and I haven't driven my car much, probably less than 20,000 miles in 8 years. My neighbor who has had his '68 for over 25 years had one in it before I bought mine. I did notice from looking at his shifter and mine that his ratchet mechanism looked different. Maybe they improved them ? I bought the universal model, it came with the cable, brackets, reverse & neutral switches. Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode