68 L-30 QUESTION? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

I HAVE PURCHASED AN 327-275 68 CAMARO FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. I LIKED THE CAR BECAUSE IT IS BLACK WITH A BLK HOUNDSTOOTH SURVIVOR CAR. NEVER BEEN HIT OR REBUILT. MY QUESTION IS THIS. THE BLOCK AND HEADS ARE THE SAME CASTING AS A 302. IF I BUILD THE ENGINE TO 302 SPECS WITH THE CORRECT ACCESSORIES DOES IT MAKE A "NUMBERS" CORRECT CAR? I REALIZE I WOULD HAVE TO STAMP MO, BUT THE REST WOULD BE CORRECT. HAS A 4spd with 12 bolt and multi springs, i think somewhat rare, not necessarily valuable.
give me your comments. the camaro guy, bruce.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech

Sorry, but it would only make it a replica. A "numbers correct" car would be an original Z28 with the "correct" 302 out of another Z28. While matching numbers would be the same engine in the car as when it left the assembly line.

Steve R.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 00, 08:03 PM
David Pozzi

Don't do it.

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 02:32 AM

STRONCEK

You may have a 68 L30/M20, which may be considered a "rare" car . Before doing something, take a look at the CRG site (www.camaros.org) and at the guests article on the L30/M20 by Rich Fields in http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...article_fs.htm

Hope this helps

Mauricio
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Moris is right. I just read the article he mentioned, and I'm sure I have one too. Though mine has a 10 bolt instead of a 12, it is a posi. I would leave it the way it is. Read his article, and e-mail him info on your car. I'm sure he'll find it interesting.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

If your 68 is matching #'s L30/M20 then I would leave it original or pull the L30/M20 and garage the drivetrain and put in the engine/trans you want. If your car isn't matching #'s 327/275 then it's value isn't really that big of a deal and I like your idea of turning it into a Z28, just don't pawn it off as one when and if you sell it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 10:56 AM
David Pozzi

Stevo,
I've got the 67 L30/M20 too and have never seen a 12 bolt diff in one of these cars. Only SS350 and Z cars or big block had them that I've ever seen. I wonder if LA built L30/M20 Camaros all had 10 bolt rears. And the Norwood L30/M20's got the 12 bolts?
David

------------------
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

My father has a 1968 RS L30/M20 car. It has the orginal 12 bolt rear w/ an open 3.08 gearset, multi leaf springs and even has the rear brake proprotioning valve. The way I understand it is that all L30/M20 cars built after January 1967 got 12 bolts.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
My Father's 1968 RS 327!
My First Generation Camaro site
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 02:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
That's Interesting Dave. Elcamino says cars after Jan. got 12 bolts. My car was built in Nov. of 66. It has a muncie dated 1966 also. The rear-end is original 10 bolt posi with 308:1. My 327 has suffix code ML. It was built in Van Nuys, it was the first 25,000 built there. Actually 22,000 and some change. I'll have to look again, can't remember exactly. When I flipped my console & gauges over, there was a tag dated NOV.66 on it. In Mr. Fields article it says all L30/M20 cars got the 4-speed saginaw. I'm not so sure, unless mine got changed out with a correct dated muncie. I doubt it.
Anybody else with L30/M20 info?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 04:47 PM
Tech Team

Is the engine date/suffix/VIN codes still visable? If they are, my opinion would be to keep the car as original. It's not like you're dealing with a six cylinder car or NOM 327. Restamping is misleading unless you're replacing what got removed during decking. Even if you disclose the nature of the car at sale time, nothing says the guy that buys it from you will do the same and so on. When money gets involved, sometimes the truth takes a backseat.

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 05:21 PM
David Pozzi

Stevo,
Take a close look at your shifter, if the trans was changed the shifter rod for reverse would have to be modified or at least changed to a muncie type. Something might not look stock.
I changed mine to a muncie when I broke it. I kept the shifter.
That saginaw was a terrible tranny. I wouldn't be suprised if it had been changed.
My Camaro was built Oct, 66. I'm the origonal owner.

It's interesting to note some beliefs at that time. It was the first year for the 350, and of course the first year for Camaro. I didn't want to take a chance on the 350 cause it was new. I got the proven 327, the same for disc brakes. They were considered expensive to service, better than drums, but could be troublesome. I ordered the tried and true drums, a mistake I regretted ever since.
If you read any old magazines of that era, you'll see adds paid by Delco Morane urging people to buy GM cars with the Disc Brake option. Also for tilt wheel steering columns, and 8 track stereos.
David

------------------
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
3.08 in a twelve bolt? Better check that information. Never had a Twelve bolt with a 3.08. 3.07 yes. If a car was special ordered with a 3.08 it got a ten bolt because that gearing was only available in a 10 bolt. Open or posi. My rearend on my 67 is a ten bolt. But the trim tag has a 4p which could be an SS350 or the 275 horse 327. It is a 4 spd sag. Build date for the car is Oct 66 I think the last week, from LA. The rear end code is also Oct 66 too but from the first week maybe. Maybe someone changed it out, but maybe not. I know that when I took the diff cover off it looked brand new with what I think are GM gears, it had what appeared to be GM part numbers. I bought the car in January 92 with a 6 cyl that had the frame mounts welded to the frame. The guy I bought it from said it was his wifes and she blew the 350 (racing) so her father put in the 6. The trans is something newer, from 69. When I bought it, it did have all the SS emblems and the 350 on the fenders. Even the early style SS350 gas cap. All the chassis numbers match the vin, and the vin and the trim tag look to be date correct. 21213 are the last 6 of my vin. It also had a RS front end with the back up lights stored in the trunk. The rear lower valance looked to be a replacement and there is an extra hole in the trunk for the wires of the back up lights. Front end did have the most of the wiring harness for the hideaways, and all four of the limit switches, but the car does not have the coding for the RS package. Missed on some of the earlier Camaros? Possible.
I personally would not alter a numbers matching car, from the original owner too. The car does have value being a L30/M20. Richs article is right on the money as far as I am concerned. I rember when it came out I was looking at my camaro with a fine tooth comb looking for anything that would deem it as such. Mostly just looking for a true Identity.
Because my car is altered from its original state the value is not that of an original. Point being that if its original, the value should be as such. Lets face it, in the past year or so the prices of these cars has risen dramatically. Ebay.com I think has a little to do with this. I just saw a 67 350 convertable go for over $25,000! That was for an unrestored car! I also seen two camaros sell in town here. One a 67 210hp 327 with 10 bolt, bolero red, a nice daily driver that leaked all kinds of fluids with a decent interior, needed paint, very near original, sold $9,999. A 68 with a 327, a very badly faked SS (even had a blacked out tail panel) bunch seat with a column shifted power slide, halfway decent paint went for $11,500. Both these cars were just barely 3's. I call them 20/20's, 20 feet and 20 miles an hour they looked good.
Protect the originality, change the drivetrain out if you have to have something that will blow the doors off of anything at a redlight. Paint it any way you want but don't try to pass it off for something it isn't. You will get much more respect this way.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/sixt7ssrs/
IM - sixtsevnss
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

Thanks guys, I meant to say 3.07 open it has a BL code on the rear.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
My Father's 1968 RS 327!
My First Generation Camaro site
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 05:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Dave, My shifter is a hurst. I contacted the company 3 years ago and gave them the serial # on it. They said that particular shifter was made from 67-75. Maybe someone did change the trans & shifter at same time. If so I think the swap was made early in cars life. I would like to find original owner of my car & pick his brain. He did order front disc, but without power. My understanding rare, though not very desirable. You say your original owner? WOW!! I wish I could have had the opportunity to buy a new one, but I probably would have done the same as you did. I remember my parents not trusting disc when the bought there new car in 68. I'm 40 so I do remember some things of the day. Especially muscle-cars parked allover our neighborhood, but thats another story. SIXTSEVNSSRS, sounds like you have some work getting your car back to what it once was. I hate it when that happens. But sounds like your car will be worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode