Pertronix ignitor - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 99, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
CD

Question

Hi guys i was wondering if anybody has used or knows anything about a Pertronix ignitor
i am thinking about putting a kit in my 72 z28 i want to keep the car looking stock
also does it fit right in or a lot of work to make it fit

63 white z28 clone
72 white z28 all original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 99, 08:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Everyone I've talked to says they are great and can't be seen.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 99, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech

CD,

You might want to go to the Team Chevelle website and try a search as this topic has been covered 3-4 times in the last 60 days. There were MANY responses that could be helpful to you.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 99, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

go here for info:
http://www.pertronix.com/
go here to purchase:
http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/
i haven't bought one yet, but this is what i found in my numerious ?,s.
1. it is a good replacement for points, but will not add any voltage to your system.
2. it fits inside the stock dist. with 2 wires coming out so everything with still look stock.
3. the new type lobe ignitor installs almost as easy as putting in a new set of points.
4. this one is sort of divided, but if you have a properly working ignition, then one is almost as good as the other (a match vs. a blow torch still lights a fire). biggest performance gain may be in recurveing your dist. and getting to advance set just right.
that said, i think if you are just looking to replace your points with a maintance free product, this may be the way to go. i hate to say it, but sometimes the chevelle board does seem to something offer more tech info than the camaro, if it's a general mech. ? (at least for me, i have a ss396 69 and it seems there are many more big blocks over there)

------------------
pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 12-23-1999).]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
CD

Mike thanks for the info. i checked out the sites and they were helpfull i am going to buy the kit to install on my z/28 also thanks to the rest of the replys it nice to have people with info to help make your decission
i also checked out the chevell board . hope i can help someone out soon thanks CD

69 z/28 clone
72 z/28 original numbers matching car
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

Thumbs up

I asked this same question over on Team Chevelle a couple months ago. I got about 10 responses. The only negative response was what if it craps out on you just east of no where. The answer given to that question was just have someone put the points back in. And drive home. I'm going to install a set in my El Camino.

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Thumbs up

I've been running a lobe pertronix for two weeks. My idle smoothed out slightly. It is a no brainer to install, also. It basically sits on the back side of the plate where the condenser was. The rubber replacement gromett they provide is substandard. I drilled an adjacent hole through my old rubber gromett for a better weathertight seal.
It is working just fine with the existing Delco coil and I have no resistor in the circuit.
To be honest I don't feel any higher top end power (but then there is no loss). I had my timing before and still after installation 6 degrees BTDC. If I can recall, I only had to twist my distributor counterclockwise 1/2", so that my 327 would fire up. It seems to be functioning correctly with the vacuum advance plate also.
I admit I was skeptical about the lobe sensor being prone to missing. However that is unfounded. So now I will just be paranoid about longevity and will keep my points and condenser in my trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode