best camaro book? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

thinking of getting the book "The Definitive 1969 Camaro Z/28-SS396 Fact Book" by Jerry MacNeish. I'm looking for something to tell me a little more about my (any) '69 ss 396. sort of want something for interesting reading, not just a list of part #'s. any suggestions/comments? i ordered the "Camaro Restoration Guide : 1967-1969" (Authentic Restoration Guides) By: Jason Scott from amazon in sept., but they never sent it. don't know weither to reorder or get The Definitive Fact Book. i already have an assembly manual, the free stuff chevy sends you (think crg has the contact # somewhere on their web site, but i couldn't find it when i looked. if you don't have this, it's worth the phone call - 800 # ?), Chilton's manual (almost useless - i'd pass on this one) and a whole bunch of websites.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

[This message has been edited by mike brown (edited 12-23-1999).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 01:48 AM
Senior Tech

Check out the Tag Team section for almost the identical post to your question.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech

I have seen lots of interesting books in the Classic Industries catalog. I wish someone would print a book on the 67-69 Trans Am Camaros that would show all of the design work and blueprints and "really sink your teeth into it" info.

[This message has been edited by Toby T. (edited 12-23-1999).]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wink

70 RS/Z-28 - yea, that post promted me to post this one, in order to find the "best" one out there.
Toby T. - Dick Guldstrand, Guldstrand Engineering in Culver City, CA is a name that keeps popping up in the trans am posts.
from a previuos post :
"I don't know if this the book you are looking for but this one is written by Dick Guldstrand who actually raced the Camaros in the trans am series. This book reveals all of his racing secrets. He also includes templates for suspension mods. You can order the book at 310-391-7108. $25 bucks and well worth the price."

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech

If you're like me, you can't get enough of this stuff. I would suggest buying all of them. The book you tried to order from Amazon.com is more of a picture book, not a lot of detailed text or facts, but GREAT color pictures. Hooper's book and Jerry McNeish's book are more much more detailed with good text and pictures. All 3 are worth getting.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech

One very good book is by Brooklands Books, just called Camaro. Has about 20 or so road tests and magazine test reports on the 67 to 70 Camaros. Heads up comparisons with Mustang and Corvette. Good book with some price stickers and option lists as printed in the articles. Good reading. Was compiled by R.M. Clarke. Might find at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Good book. tom
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

In response to Mike's questions:
The book "The Definitive 1969 Camaro Z28-SS396 Fact Book" contains two chapters. One on the Z28 and the other on the SS396. The content is exclusively part numbers which fits very well with the type of questions asked in Tag Team. The other book, "The 1969 Camaro Reference Book" by Hooper covers a lot of interesting facts and not the level of detail concerning the part numbers.
I've ordered most of my books via the Classic Industries Catalog. I order through a local Camaro restorer who discounts the prices and doesn't charge shipping. In Colorado there seems to be many of these small shops that specialize in classic Camaros. There must be hundreds of these types of places across the country. I've found that Amazon does not carry many of the books listed in the Classic catalog.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode