10bolt vs. 12bolt - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

ok another rearend question... it all started today when my dad and i woke up early to go to the local bone yards. we were looking for a 12 bolt rearend posi or no posi we were looking for a 12 bolt we could build ourselves. if we could find some front disc brakes that would have been a plus. well 4 novas a chevelle and a 73 camaro later we had no 12 bolt and the 73 camaro had disc brakes but because i have a 69 it would not work. so here i sit sunburned and no parts. i want to start draging my car at the street legal drags and local carshows but i have a crappy 10 bolt with 3.08 gears, TH400, and a built 355, so it doesnt hook up very well. i wanted to know if i got a 10 bolt posi built with 3.73 gears in it, if it would hold up to or work as well as a 12 bolt posi. also my car has mono leafsprings. i have no clue if my dad and i are going to travel all over california for a 12 bolt, but i want to upgrade my *** end. and last but not least a GM bone yard had a 12 bolt posi from a 68 camaro and they wanted $850 for it! i just about freaked! at this rate ill just fix up my camaro sell it then buy a chevelle or camaro that has all the options i over looked when i bought my car.
thanks for all the help

justin

------------------
BLack 69 coupe 350/TH400 factory A/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

An 8.5" 10 bolt will hold up just fine, especially running an auto. I think most 1st gen Camaro's had the 8.2". If that 12 bolt you found has the gear ratio you want and is in excellent condition. You might want to consider it or at least make an offer. Have you priced all the parts? Name brand gear $150, posi $350, install kit $90, junkyard 12 bolt non posi >$150. Were up to $740. If you don't set up yourself add another $200. Isn't racing fun$$$ Have you considered a 9" F**d.

------------------
67 410sb 11.63 @117.6
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 00, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech

I hate to say it but $850 is a fair price. I just sold a bare 12 bolt housing to someone with no axles, carrier, or e-brake cables, or drums for $175 and the guy thought he got a great deal. If get find a 12 bolt in a wrecking yard stop on the way home and buy as many lottery tickets as you can afford, with that sort of luck you can't lose. Check out some past tech posts about rear ends and brakes, there is something always pertaining to whay you asked. By the way Chevelle 12 bolts are not much easier to get either.

Steve R.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 02:44 AM

$850 a good deal?! He didn't state that it was rebuilt. If it was rebuilt it *might* be a decent deal... but I doubt it was rebuilt from the boneyard with all the name brand parts you mentioned. I could be wrong.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I had to pay $650 5 years ago for a complete 69 date coded 12 bolt. It needed a complete rebuild, so I had to drop another $500. Total cost of $1,150.

If the rear was rebuilt, $850 is a good price. If it wasn't, the price might be a little high. However, with you living in California, I would expect the price would be higher. A lot of other people are out there looking for the same thing you are.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 05:20 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Cool

Ya I've been looking around a little bit and they seem to cost $1300 plus for a rebuilt one. If I found one at that price...and for a Camaro...I'd snap it up in a heartbeat and consider myself lucky.
www.geocities.com/macgse/68CamaroRS.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 05:44 AM
Tech Team

MYFIRST69,
You may have passed up some good parts on your j-yard jaunt. If one of the Novas that you looked at is a 72-75, the rear axle(cheap) is a direct bolt in for your Camaro. The multi-leaf springs a also a direct bolt in, and are much better than the mono-leafts. This is still a 10 bolt, but it will have the 8.5 inch R&P, which is quite a bit better than the 8.2 (if thats what you have). Also, some of the cars you looked at could have had a 10 bolt posi unit(yes, not quite as stout, but much cheaper than the 12 bolt), although some places don't like you pulling to cover to look. Here is a list of some of the models that could possibly have 8.5"/10bolt posi units that will interchange:
Chevrolet- 71/76
Chevelle- 73/76
ChevyII/Nova- 72/75
Camaro- 71/81
I would spring for a set of new gears though. At $150-$175 for the 8.5, its not that bad. I realize that this is not the ultimate HP setup, but like the saying goes, "Us poor folks got poor ways". I believe this info is correct, but always check it out before buying.

------------------
David
68 SS Camaro
72 Chevelle
73 Nova Hatchback

[This message has been edited by LoneStar68 (edited 04-13-2000).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 00, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech

As a quick refrence, if a Nova has the steering box located behind the front cross member the front brakes and rear end will bolt into a first generation Camaro, if the box is located in front of the cross member it will not. Early 70's Nova's are a good source of disc brakes.

Steve R.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 00, 07:35 AM
Senior Tech

Smile

When I went 12 bolt shopping, I saw $900-$1300 prices. My first thoughts were : This much for something that uses c-clips? Not me. I found my 1974 International 1/2 ton semi-floating (read 5 lugs,not 3/4 ton) Dana 60 3.73 posi rearend, along with the whole truck, for $100. The truck has 80,000 miles on it. Sure, it's not a direct bolt in, but for $300 it will be narrowed, axles re-splined and re-drilled, and have the springpads in the correct location. I don't care about the added weight of this beast, as it has a 427. The added strength far outweighs any extra poundage. Someone with money to burn can just call Currie. I like to save a little here so I can spend it elsewhere on the car. I will also have a '72 Nova 8.5 to sell when I'm done.
Rick
'68 SS 427
'66 Yenko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode