Heater core replacement on a '68 - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 99, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Question

I have a '68 Camaro, and I just dropped in a new engine & tranny a few monthes ago. When I got the car, it had no engine, and I was told that the heater core leaked. I had the heater bi-passed, but finally got sick of freezing, and hooked it up today. It leaked, but a little radiator stop-leak fixed it. I would like to change the core anyway. How difficult is this to do? Will I have to remove the fender, or inner wheel-well? Any advice will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 99, 09:34 PM
Tech Team

the heater core is inside the black box against the firewall in front of the passenger seat. you will have to disconnect the a/c cables to the top of the "box", remove 8-12 screws (cant remember how many exactly but can tell you if needed) from around black box. probably have to remove the pass. kick panel or fresh air diverter for access. not really a tough job. maybe 30-50 minutes. remember to use forced air to blow through the core BEFORE you take it out to dump rusty water on the ground and not on your carpet. the only thing i remember in the R-Fender is the squirrel cage for the factory a/c unit. if you intend to get vintage air, now is the time. they give you a new style core, fan, a/c etc that mounts neater, smaller and more efficient etc. jim dwyer at chevy classics in CA is selling the complete vintage air for $900. About $150 off list. Also vintage air has about a $40-50 price increase planned in Jan. 2000. Have fun!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 99, 01:25 AM
CD

Street it's not a hard job to do as long as your heater motor is in good working order to change just the core you do not have to losen the fender just remove the heater box on the inside of the passengers side of the inside firewall. It has 5 nuts witch have to be loosened from the engine side of the firewalland then just remove box from inside of cars pass side . The core is located in the box just replace it and then put it all back together. Good luck stay warm

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 01, 10:44 AM
chuckdetroit

Question

I have a heater core new in a box for 50.00 I use pay pal you can send it to me using paypal at [email protected] and I will ship asap..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode