HEI distributors - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I am getting ready to rebuild my HEI distributor. Is it better to retain the stock weights and use lighter springs or should I buy a complete curve kit, like something from Moroso or Mr Gasket with the lighter weights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 04:57 PM
David Pozzi

Unless you have a machine, get it re curved at a shop that has a distributor machine.
I have not found any aftermarket weights that work without major grinding all over.
It's hard to get the timing to advance quick enough, the tip of the advance weight is too long, the weight too light.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Can you make the HEI run strong, or should I consider an aftermarket distributor?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

I posted the following a few days ago in a different forum on this exact subject.

Guys,
I've been reading through the posts on timing and have decided to go with IgnitionMans advice. I've just installed a Crane adjustable vacuum advance on the HEI I have on my 350. I connected it to full manifold vacuum on the 600cfm Edelbrock. I adjusted the limiter so that I end up with about 22 degrees at idle.

The HEI was on the car when I bought it and it appears to have an aftermarket mechanical advance weight set in it. I previously installed a MSD module. I've set my initial timing to 12deg with the vacuum advance plugged. Next I changed the springs on the mechanical advance to a blue and gold to start advance at 800 and have it all in by 2600. I then had my son help me by running the engine up to different rpms so I could "map" the mechanical advance. I could only get an additional 8 degrees of advance out of the mechanical. The flat spot on the weights didn't allow the mechanical advance to move any further. Sooo, I took the trusty Dremel to them. It took a couple of trial and error "grindings" and "mappings" to get what I was after. Ultimately I ended up having to take a good bit of metal off the unweighted side to get it to full advance - here's a picture. http://users.ev1.net/~martyp/69Camaro/DCP02150.jpg

Results are:

RPM Deg
1000 12
1500 22
2000 30
2500 32
3000 34
3500 36
4000 36

Just took the car out and I'm amazed at the difference! The car is very responsive and it takes half the pedal for normal street driving. I suspect that this will also translate into better mileage. At full throttle, it rockets! Both me and my 14yr old son have the biggest grins on our faces right now...just had to share a success. This board rocks...thanks IgnitionMan.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 05:03 PM
Tech Team

69camaroSS
looking at the pic I believe that the center pivot is flipped over the wrong way and that is why you could only get 8 deg of advance.
The pointed parts that were ground down go into the slots that are on the other side of the pivot (in the picture).
I did the same exact thing and couldnt figure out what the heck was going on until i looked at a picture in a recent Chevy High Preformance magazine and realized the mistake.
I got the proform HEI tune up kit
i use the silver weights and now the curve is exatly what i need

nate
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 11:01 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

Eg, you sure about that? I tired placing the center piece in the other way, but it didn't seem to fit. I've got another set of weights that I may try that with tommorrow just for the sake of completeness. At any rate, the beast is running strong just now. I just installed a roll-stop tonight and can't wait to get it to the track.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 04:00 PM
Tech Team

Talking

running strong is the important thing
your center pivot is flipped according to the picture in the mag
i had it the same way you do now and then flipped it (to match the mag pic) and it fixed my prob
but it looks like the custom setup that you have now works good for you
my set up is slightly different as my timing is all in by 2800 and i run a higher initial
so it appears that the setup that you have now is right on the money (and if it aint broke dont fix it) lol
have fun

Nate
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 07:08 AM
Senior Tech

I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but
according to the instullation instructions
for mr Gaskets hei advance curve kit #929
camaro 69 ss has his weights & centre plate
in the correct way round.
I am no expert,and with my experiance with
the quality of some of mr Gaskets products
I would not beleive them if they told me
that the Earth was not flat,but they might be
right.
I just thought this might help or maybe not.
T.P.DONAGHY
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

I went back the the Mr. Gasket kit packaging and the way that I have it installed is correct according to this for a clockwise distributor. I have seen both the center piece and the weights turned both ways and opposite of what is in my pic. Could this be for a non-HEI distributor? Are there small block chevy distributors that are counter-clock-wise?

Marty
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 01, 05:50 PM
Tech Team

Question

I was going by the picture in the magazine

it was a Pertronix HEI distrubutor
the weights were in the same position but the center plate was flipped
the distributor produced 24 deg of advance in this config 12 initial 36 total
if Mr. gasket reccomend it the other way, i would go that way
perhaps different manufacturers have the weights and plates set up different
i just assumed that all HEI,s were set up the same way
sorry if i cause any confusion....
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 01, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

I have noticed that sometimes you have to look out for magazine articles. Sometimes when they are making the magazine they put a negative of the picture backwards and everything looks like you are seeing it from the other side
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 05:57 AM
Tech Team

Smile

in this case thought of the same thing however even if it was flipped or reversed the point in the no-weighted side of the weights still are in line with the groove of the center plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode