68 Camaro..Leaning on drivers side??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just purchased a 68 camaro and notice that when viewing from the rear the car appears lower on the drivers side like it leaning...Have been told it might need new leaf springs..Not sure how to check if the springs are gone ...Is it common for springs to wear out differently..I MEAN THE DRIVERS SIDE TO WEAR BEFORE THE PASSENGERS SIDE...Is there anything else that might cause it to lean..The tires are alittle big but they are the same size...The spring rails and body are solid...So what do you guys think the leaf springs or should I be looking somewhere else for this leaning problem...Also how hard is it to change the leaf springs they are Mono springs now...But thinking of going to multi leaf if it is something I can handle myself..(direct bolt on)..Any help would be appreciated...Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 07:07 PM

I'd be intersested in any suggestions as to what to look for also.I have a 67 malibu that also leans about 1 1/2-2'' to the drivers side.It's in the front everything is new balljoints ,bushings etc.Springs are moroso also new.Same thing you describe body mounts,tires etc are okay.One thing I want to check is if the frame may be bent.I cant tell by eye but now the car is together the drivers inner fender seems to be about 1/2 -3/4'' closer to the frame rail.I never noticed it before the body was original and I did'nt see any sighns of an accident to explain it so I don't think it's bent but I,m at a loss as to what else it could be?I have a67 camaro also and remember the chevelle is a full frame car where the camaro is a unibody so the above may or may not apply.but still check the body for any twisting especially if it's been raced.I'd check the shackles and bushing in the leaf springs for anything worn or loose other than that I'm not sure like I said I'm kinda stumped myself. I've also had people tell me it could be a weak spring even though there new so definately check the springs.Sorry to ramble I've been gonna post this myself so I can definately understand your dillema.Hopefully someone out there has experience with this and could help us both.Thanks and good luck with your car.

------------------
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
John

Question

I've heard a lot of times that the springs will cause this. I think the one side wears out before the other because of the way the torque effects it. The car torques to one side. The driver's side I believe. Multi's don't match the spring perches on a mono leaf rear end though. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck. ~ John

------------------
1968 RS, 355/4spd/12 blt w/3.55's.www.camarogenerations.com

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 05:31 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

You can make the multi leaf springs fit into the monoleaf perches. It is tight but they will fit if you trim the side lip off a multileaf top rubber pad. The original T-studs must be changed out though with longer T-studs or U-bolts.

As for the leaning problem - this is what I've learned troubleshooting my own leaning problem (ony about a 1/2" on my car).

Springs will definately do it, I think the drivers side will tend to wear out first. But - if you have new springs and it still does it, try loosening the shackle bolts and driving slowly and carefully down the road over some small bumps. Then retighten everything and torque to spec with the car on the ground not on jacks.

Also make sure your frame to body bolts are tight. If they are loose or your frame is rusted (easily fixed BTW) your car can sag a little on one side.

Obviously there is some other possible cause because I don't have this entirely fixed on my car either.

Good luck and please tell us if you learn anything!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 07:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I assume by your description that it is the rear end only that is leaning. In which case it is most likely the springs. If the front is leaning check the core support bushings and mounts. My 68 leaned to the right side by 1.5" and it was caused by the core support mounting being eaten up with battery acid. All of the front end sheet metal mounts to the core support.

------------------
68 convertible
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 10:45 AM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

I know this is something you hope it isn't. My sister had bought a camaro and after changing springs it still was lower on one side. It turned out to be a bent frame. She had it pulled three times and then she sold it.
Good luck

------------------
1968 RS/SS 454 TH400 Black Deluxe Interior
"Another Day.... Another $100.00 worth of parts..."
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/jgrock/1try.htm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 03:44 PM
Tech Team

Cool

Well my car was like that and I change the leaf springs, with no luck, and I change the front end nope, no luck, then I change the front springs, nope, no luck, then I change the sub frame bushings and BINGO it fix it

------------------
68 RS ORIGINAL 327,350 trans.4 BARREL 650 CFM EDELBROCK,
HEADERS,2CHAMBERS FLOW MASTERS,3" PIPE.
12 BOLT REAR END 331 GEARS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 01, 03:11 PM

I've got a 68 Camaro with this leaning deal - I didn't realize that so many people suffered from this condition. My problem is simple. Some nitwit that owned the car before me replaced the left front leaf spring mount with a non-Camaro mount. This makes the front spring eye set higher in the chassis than it is supposed to. The icing on the cake is that the bastard welded it in ! Some people!!!!

------------------
'68 Camaro
'99 Softail Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode