Need info on on RS/SS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 99, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I have always loved '69 camaros, and for christmas my dad bought me one that he got a great deal on (only $1500!!). Judging from the ID i got off the firewall, it was originally a standard hugger orange '69 camaro, with a deluxe interior and nothing else special about it. It is from New Mexico and has a flawless body (currently in primer),a new 350 engine & 4 spd transmission, and new exhaust, but the interior is shredded. I'll need to pretty much replace everything in the interior except some of the dash components (gauges, ac vents). Anyways, I wanted to modify my camaro into an RS (and possibly an SS if I can), but I'm not sure of what components I need to get and what I need to change. I was wondering where I could find this info in detail or even better if I could just buy a kit to do it or something... any info is vastly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 99, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Thumbs up

Congratulations on the new car. I am assuming, since it is a New Mex car that it is a Van Nuys build? Could you post the VIN and cowl info?

As far as the conversions....the RS included chrome wheel moldings, chrome drip moldings, chrome 1/4 louvers, different badging, hide-a-way headlights, and back up lights below the bumper. It will be a VERY costly conversion since just the hideaways will run you close to $1,000.

To make the car an SS clone, you will need to change the badging, get an SS hood (or cowl hood), an SS emblem on the steering wheel, 4 or 5-leaf rear springs, power steering (if the car doesn't have it already). That is all the obvious ones I can think of....

------------------
Steve McCorry
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 99, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Oh...and all SS's had Power front disk brakes in 1969....

------------------
Steve McCorry

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 99, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Don't forget about the 12 bolt rearend. All SS had a 12 bolt rear end unless it was ordered with a ratio that was only available in a 10 bolt like a 3.08. If a car was ordered with a 3.08 you got the 10 bolt, 3.08 was not available in the 12 bolt.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6792
IM - sixtsevnss
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 99, 10:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Cool

McCorry:

Power Steering WAS NOT a mandatory SS option.

My 69 SS has manual steering.

------------------
1969 Camaro RS/SS 350/4spd, Azure Turquoise (55-55)
Van Nuys Built 11B
currently being restored to showroom original
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 99, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Wink

My bad, Jonsey...you are correct...
Also, I know the 3.07 was available in the 12-bolt...not sure about the 3.08.

Also, I believe that some of the PG SS cars had 10-bolt rear ends....

------------------
Steve McCorry
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 99, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech

Smile

according to "1969 Chevrolet Camaro" published by chevrolet customer assastance center, the power teams list a 3.07 std for the ss 350 and the l35 (325 hp) 396, it was available as a econ option for the l334 (350 hp) 396 and a spec option for the l78 or 79 (375 hp). the only ss listed with a 3.08 is the ss 350 with a powerglide (m35). doubt if very many of these were made. the 12 bolt could be had with a 3.07, not sure about the 3:08. 12 bolt ratioes listed are the 2.73, 3.07, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 99, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Based on that data Mike, it appears that sixtsevnssrs is correct in saying that the 3.08 could only be had in a 10-bolt....

------------------
Steve McCorry
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 11:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Cool

Mike Brown:

For 69 SS350

3.07 ratio was standard for AUTO TRANS (Turbo 350)

3:31 ratio was standard for Manual Trans

------------------
1969 Camaro RS/SS 350/4spd, Azure Turquoise (55-55)
Van Nuys Built 11B
currently being restored to showroom original
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 02:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I have never seen a 10 bolt come in a SS, 67-70. I will only believe it when I see one with paperwork. I have seen lots of fake SS's though.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mike brown:
Jonesy, you're exactly right. i missed it when i was reading the chart and my typeing skills aren't what they should be (sort of like an ugly girl on a sat. night - i'm a hunt and pecker) (say it fast) . anyway the 3:07 was with the 3 speed auto, 3:08 with the powerglide and 3:31 for the 3 and 4 speed manual, but it seems we are off the base subject. think rick's offers a kit for $1000 to just convert the headlights, not the tail lights and any other rs goodies. cheapest way is to do what some have done, buy an ss emblem kit for about a $150. this should be good for at least 100 extra hp. sounds like you got a good deal for the money and it just depends how much extra you want to spend to get it close to the same equipment as an ss. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Me and my dad have been further researching my car, and we have found out some new info. It has power steering, 4 or 5 leaf rear springs,and it turns out the engine is in fact not a new 350 that was put in in '95 as I had thought but it is the original hi performance 327 and it was rebuilt in '95.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
Thumbs down

If it is the original 327...then it definately isnt an original SS car...
Although it is strange that it has
multileaf springs....

clill....Kurt S has talked about a 350/PG/10-bolt setup for an SS that was produced in limited numbers...he could give you the details.

------------------
Steve McCorry
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 99, 01:22 AM

If the car is a 69, and I'm not mistaken, the 327cid/275 Hp engine was not available, it could have been a 327cid/210Hp or a 307cid/200Hp, depending on the manufacture date. If the car was a L30/M20 it should have a 327 cid/275 HP, 4 spd, 12 bolt rear end and multi leaf rear springs, but this car was not built in 1969, only in 67-68.

Could you post the Vin and Cowl tag to check the car options. Also take a look at the CRG site at www.camaros.org

------------------
Chile
ST-68 12437
ACC.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 99, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

I'm back from the holidays.

Steve, I too would be interested in the VIN, cowl tag, and engine info. Moris is correct, the only 327 in 69 was the base V8 up til December (the base engine then became the 307).

Clill, I agree with you on all SS's having a 12 bolt, except for the case listed above (69SS w/ powerglide). Bill Glowacki had one and other people have seen them. But the CRG still doesn't have one in our database (most people got the TH350 instead), so (like you) I'm still looking for the data from such a car.

An interesting aside - I have a copy of the POP for a LM1 w/ a powerglide and *it* has a 12 bolt. Go figure. A lower hp engine and it got the 12 bolt. I am confused... Clill, you might see this car; I believe it was sold in your area (or maybe a little west). 2 tone blue and white car.

To answer the original question: adding RS is not real easy and the fender adaptors are not available for 69. If you have the $ and time......

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode