mono leaf...w/"u" bolts - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 00, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
can i use U bolts with a mono leaf rear....i don't see any problems,but in another post i see you may? need spacers for a rear that came from a multi leaf car....what gives????

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/auto" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/auto[/url]

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 04-15-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 00, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech

I'm using u-bolts on my car with mono-leaf springs. I'm running a 1" lowering block, but there should be no reason you couldn't run the u-bolts with out one. I had to hammer out the original studs and drill the holes out so the larger u-bolts will fit, and I also cut the ends of the u-bolts off so they wouldn't hang to low and look bad.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 00, 04:30 AM
Tech Team

The leaf spring bracket on a mono leaf rear is not as big & long as one for a multi leaf rear. Therefore if using a multi leaf rear with mono leaf springs, there is too much room in the leaf spring perch area to sandwich the springs between the perch and the shock mount plate. That is why you'd have to use a spacer of some kind, whether you use two u-bolts on each side, or whether you use one u-bolt and the 2 t-bolts, as originally equipped. If you want the stock ride height, the blocks should go between the bottom of the leaf and the shock mount plate.

Then the other way around. If using a mono leaf rear with multi leafs, the leafs are too thick to properly sandwich the leaf between the bracket and the shock mount plate, so you'd have to use 2 u-bolts on each side. The t-bolts would be too short.

------------------
70 & 1/2 RS
SB406 & M20 4spd
9" rear

70 Malibu 350/TH400

Gold member #103
Driveline Technician

http://www.geocities.com/carguy63/

[This message has been edited by Scooter (edited 04-16-2000).]

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 00, 08:47 AM
David Pozzi

I'd like to add, the multi leaf spring mount has a depression for the spring leaf center bolt. The single leaf mount does not. The single leaf spring has a locater welded to the bottom of the spring instead of a bolt all the way thru like the multi leaf.
When using a multi leaf spring with a single leaf rear. You need to install a spacer plate with a hole in it on top of the spring to recieve the spring bolt.
if you have a 67 spring plate, they are very thin and will bend if you torque the U bolts very tight. With all the spacers and multi leaf spring the lower spring plate will not contact the housing spring mount like a stock setup. You should either use thicker spring plates or use spacers between the spring plate and housing spring mount.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 00, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
____

Garage
Red face

ok,i did forget to tell ya's that i have lakwood traction bars (the ones that replace the lower spring plate)although their not recomended for mono spring set up.so now what?

------------------
http://www.hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/auto[/url]

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 04-16-2000).]
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 00, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

They'll work.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 00, 03:39 AM
Tech Team

Have you considered swapping in a set of multi-leafs? Not sure of all the years and models that will fit, but I know a set from 72-75 Nova will bolt right in. (I swapped the axle and springs from a 73). I replaced all the stock bolts (7/16) with 1/2" U-bolts and run the bolt on traction bars like yours. My car is a 68 with a 406, 28x9 slicks and ran 12.40's this weekend. I tried everything I could think of with the mono-leafs before swapping in the multi's, and just couldn't get them to work. I'm sure the mono's can be made to work well, I've just had better luck with the multi's.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 00, 09:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

my current car has multi's with a rear intended for mono's. (I didn't do it) It's ugly, but hasn't fallen out yet. A while back, I did the opposite, rear for multi's with mono's, made a 1" or so spacer, worked good.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 00, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
____

Garage
thanks all, and i'am now thinking of going to coil overs and a 3 link....and just use the mono's as a locator?....like a river , ever changing as it flows.

------------------

http://www.hometown.aol.com/dagwould1/auto</A>

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode