help on purchase of 69 rs - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 01, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

I am looking at buying a 69 rs with a 307, column shift, no in dash tach. hood is regular with no cowl induction no spoilers appears to be pretty basic. does have hide away head lights. body needs lots of work both front fenders and driver side door is pretty damaged, probably need to be completly replaced. rear quarters have huge rust in lower portion with the passenger side having been patched right below the window. terrable work on the patch it was pop riveted in. rear bumper is ruined needs replaced. interior is fair but to make a really nice car would need total redew on it. car has all original numbers so he said. if any one can tell me anything about the car or what you think it is worth I would love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 02:47 AM
Tech Team

If you like body work I'd say offer 2K-3K for it if the car is matching numbers all around and the motor and tranny are in good shape (all they can say is no). The body panels alone add up really quick. I think you might be able to find a more solid car in your area for a few more bucks.

How is the rest of the car - suspension - frames etc?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

Talking

hey thanks for the reply. the car has 76,000 miles on it and im sure the springs are ready to be replaced as well as alot of other components. he says the car runs good however i have not gotten to drive it yet. i plan on doing that this week. even if it is running good I plan on a total restore on it. I already own a 76 camaro and a 65 malibu ss which i am restoring. I don't know much about the first generations 67-69 and im looking for all the help i can get. he wants 5,000 for it and i was willing to go that but know he is yanking me around i think to get more which i wont do. what do you think once again thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech

$5000 sounds a bit much, even if it is an RS with matching numbers. Remember, matching numbers means less with a 307 than it does with something like an SS350 or SS396. I got my 67 non-numbers matching 350 for $5000 and it was perfectly straight with absolutely no rust or bondo and original sheetmetal with nice paint. I do suspect, however, that these cars probably command a higher premium in foul weather states like CO.

------------------
Justin Traunero
[email protected]

-1967 Camaro SS350

http://156.143.134.136/default.htm
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 06:53 AM
Tech Team

JRT:

Your right - The worse the weather in the given state the more the car is worth once it's there. I have a 68 Standard with matchings numbers and a little rust - paid 4500 and got it apprased last week at 7500. It depends on where the car is located. I bet you could get a 67 RS/SS 396 4spd where you are for 8-10 perfect/ Where I am it will fetch 25-30 no problem. My car in SC is probably worth 1K because there are so many of them with no rust to choose from.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Thumbs up

If you can get perfect 67 RS/SS 396 camaros anywhere for 8 to 10 thou I'll take 4 or 5.
I do think that $5,000 for a rusted 67 rs is too much. It will take a lot more metal work than it looks like it needs. Look for a better project to start with.

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi
94 HD Dyna Wideglide
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 02:00 PM
Tech Team

Perfect to me is a clean car/driver not a trailer queen (I don't ever bother looking at 100 point cars - If you can't drive it what's the point). My bad on my use of perfect. Cars are cheaper down south - or at least it seems that way to me. I found a 67 and 68 Rs-SS 396 one auto one 4spd for around 10 I think. When I called they were gone. The east coast seems to be the place not to buy any antique car. They go for crazy money here.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 01, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech

Too much money. 2~3,000 would be more reasonable. However, Camaro are gold, if you really want it you will have to pay for it. I would suggest looking around for a better deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode