Crack sound when turning when brakes applied - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I get a loud cracking soung when turning with the brakes applied, when turning into a parking place, driveway etc...
I took the car into the dealership to have them fix it since it was still under warranty yhey sain the didn't hear anything when they test drove it, but I can hear it everyday so we had a shouting match for a while and the took the car out again and said they fixed it...2800 dollars and two weeks later the noise is back and sound even worse and to make it even worse my warranty ran out last week...I would appreciate some help Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 01, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah It's a 98 camaro rs..Not real fast but real pretty!!!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 12:04 PM

Hello, I think I might have your answer. I had the same trouble with a 77 Ford Courier I once had. It turned out to be that the seals in the rear wheels were shot, and that the axle had too much play in it--meaning it moved to the left and right to much. Even if you dont see and grease or oil on your rims, that doesn't always mean that your seals and bearings are good, as was the case with my pickup. I took it into an auto garage and they put some spacers inside the axle to keep the play out of it.

Hope this will help you some

CamaroMan79
1979 Z28

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via MSN to the mechanic Send a message via Yahoo to the mechanic
Talking

check the sway-bar end links , there was a time when dealers routinly fixed problems regular garages couldnt find/fix , that time is long past the horror stories i hear about dealers make me cringe , its not so much the dealer as the guy working on your car but their quality control is horrible the "best" cadilac dealer in my area diagnosed a bad tranny when all the car needed was a modulater , a 5star chrysler dealer here diagnosed a bad tranny on a car with a broken c/v shaft , the same dealer refused to fix a rear main seal under warrnty they told the cust. it was normal seepage to keep the seal moist , my point is that unless you find a trusworthy mech. this problem could cost a lot. what did the dealer do for $2800? did the noise go away for any length of time after work was done? chris
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Well for 2800 bucks he took the car for test drives for three days and put a little over 50 miles on it. They said he lubed the slide bolts on the front calipers and tightened the left lower A-Arm..They also changed the rear pinion seal for me..thank god all that was under warranty. It stopped the noise for about a week and a half just long enough for my warranty to run out..Im thinking it may be the bushings on the calipers for the slide bolts but i figured you guys might have some pretty good ideas too...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via MSN to the mechanic Send a message via Yahoo to the mechanic
i think your probably right it sounds like it could be the caliper slides , you could try getting caliper slide kits there not hard to do and pretty cheap also , 50 miles? they must have really liked your car . chris
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 12:57 PM

I'd take it back to the dealer. Talk to the service manager, and if he can't help talk to the owner or whoever. I had a similar experience with the tranny in a '93 Jimmy. I took it in to have them look at the tranny, and on the first test drive they said they couldn't find anything. Took it back as it was still giving me problems. It took them three days to find a bad solenoid in the trannyso they said they replaced it. A week later, the seal, pump and torque converter blew out 300 miles out of warranty. Talked to the service manager, who was no help, then walked right into the owners office and explained the problem, and told him my whole family bought from his dealership but that would stop unless he took care of the problem. He took care of the problem, $1300 worth.

------------------
1987 Silverado
350 4 bolt main
+.040
Ported and polished heads
Comp cams 268H and top end
Flowtech headers
3.73s on Detroit locker
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 01, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

The longer you wait to go back and complain to the service manager, the less likely he will stand behind his work. He should warranty his work regardless of the vehicles warranty - ask him what his warranty would have been if you had paid cash for the repair. If that doesn't fly ask him what he would do if he had a repair that lasted just to the end of the warranty. Of course you have to be nice or you'll be S.O.L. for sure!

Then of course do you remember the ending of "Ferris Beuler's Day Off" ? Hmmmm . . . maybe that's not such a good idea.

Just a few ideas from a service manager that likes to do things right the first time (not cars)

Eric
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 01, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, Well Im taking it back to the dealership friday...Im also going to look at the slide bolts tonight...Thanks again for all the help...Hey does anybody know of a good sounding muffler for my little 3.8..i bought a cherrybomb vortex, its a little to loud and makes it sound like a damn honda!!! I should of kept My 84 Monte Carlo-69 Vette motor..Sure was a sweet car but couldnt afford the 7 mpg..(drove 60 miles a day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode