EXHAUST QUESTION - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Drake

Question

I have a 67 ragtop. There are two "L" shaped exhaust hangers, one for each side of the duals, right before the transverse mounted muffler. Each hanger has 2 bolts holding it to the chassis of the car. Now the problem - these bolts screw into what appears to be some kind of "blind" nut. My passenger side nuts are "boogered" up so that the nuts just spin, instead of letting the bolt thread into it. How do I get at these nuts!? I took out the back seat, also crawled into the trunk to try and see if I could find them, to get a wrench on them, so I could tighten. No luck so far. They are only hanging on by 1 thread or so, just enough to hold up the pipe, but are very loose, so they rattle constantly while driving. I know I can use an after market hanger, but I want to keep the stock exhaust look, not hack something together. Any ideas? Thanks.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 99, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech

I would think that the nuts are a speed nut style. They should be incorporated with a clip. The clip and nut should be replacable, if not try a self taping bolt, and drive it in with the impact gun.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 99, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Drake

Unhappy

Do you mean like the ones that mount the leaf spring front bracket to the frame?Possable,but I would think there would be access holes underneath the car to replace them if needed,like for the leafspring brackets,but there is'nt.I already tried tightening them with my impact gun,using short bursts of the trigger,this did'nt work.I would think there would be some way to get at these from up top,but like I said in my first post,I can't find it.Maybe they weld some sheetmetal panel over these nuts at the factory,after the exhaust is put in?It seems unlikely to me though.I've thought of having this hanger spot welded in place,but only as a last resort.Will this hold up?oh,also i don't think the self tappers will work because these nuts turn to easy,no resistance at all to get the bolt started.thanks for reply Rob

------------------

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 12-30-1999).]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 99, 12:38 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Unhappy

I'm presently installing a chambered exhaust in my 67 RS Conv. I tried to figure out how to get to the back side of hanger mount. It seems to be in a blind area between the power top pump and the shock tower. I was able to stuff my small light probe into the bolt hole
but I could not see any light in the trunk, or behind the rear speakers. I haven't removed the rear seat but I think you might be able to remove the pump (if you have one) and sneek a wrench into the area between the seat and the trunk. Sorry I can't be more help.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 99, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Drake

Thumbs up

Belive me I appreciate ANY help on this one!I thought maybe it was just me,I have asked this question a few times to other camaro oweners and they did'nt know what I was talking about.Yes I do have a pump,I have the power top also.Maybe this problem is unique to the convertables only?Mucho thanks

------------------
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

I just wanted to post a reply to this in case anyone has this same problem ,and they do a search on the subject.
I had a few hours of free time over the holiday weekend ,so I finally got around to working on this.I could NOT get at these nuts no matter what I did.They are in a little "cavern" just inboard if the rear top shock stud,but about 10"-12" inboard.Also,they are NOT a hex type nut anyway so if you could manage to get a wrench on them it is useless.The best I could describe them would be a barrel shaped cylinder with threads tapped into it.
How did I end up fixing it?I had to take the back seat out and drill and knock out 2"X4" hole to get access to these "nuts".I hate cutting or hacking up my car like this,but I don't have much choice,and the hole can't be seen,except if the seat is removed.I then took a pair of needle nose vise-grips and clampped it on the nut,at this point it couldn't spin,so I could tighten up the hanger bolts from under the car usuing my impact gun.
Alot of B.S. just to tighten the stock exhaust hanger,but it was worth it to me in the long run.No one has ever run into this before? I can't belive I'm the only one to have these nuts come loose!

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 07-06-2000).]
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 00, 09:08 PM

Question

Just out of curiosity could this have originaly been a welded in roid
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 03:29 AM
Tech Team
Joe

Garage
the nuts are barrel shaped with a flange, there is a company called "Nutserts" or something similar that makes these. These just slide into the factory drilled hole. a past issue of CHP had on article on installing the American Thunder dual exhaust in a single exhaust camaro. they used the "nutserts" to mount the new hanger. hope this helps. i'll see if i can find more info.

found the address for the company. looks like this is the correct "nut"
http://www.auveco.com/nutserts.htm
------------------
68 Ash gold RS 327
factory AC,PS,PB
P-O-P

[This message has been edited by joe68rs (edited 07-07-2000).]

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 00, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

Thanks Joe.Thats why I figured I would dig this old post of mine up,now someone else can get an answer if they do a search.I wish I had these before I drilled.I don't see how to get the originals out though.You would probably have to drill them,or use a hammer and punch to knock it up into the body to make room for the new one.
Greg,whats a welded in roid?BTW,how's the printing business in Tenn.?I'm busy as heck up here.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 00, 08:22 PM

My family builds Dwarf car chassis I didn't know the term untill we started building them. It is basically a threaded insert welded into the frame for nerf bar mounts shock mounts etc.As for printing I haven't seen a day off all summer
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 00, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Drake

Cool

Thanks,never heard of that term before.
Also ,take a day off!

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching
4X4 Chevy truck
4X4 Suburban
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode