Black out tail panel - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I've read that only big block cars have had the tail panel painted black. Well I think I own one of the exceptions.

I'm restoring an all original unmolested 1969 RS/SS 350 with some strange options like a three speed on the floor, dog dish hub caps, twelve bolt OPEN rear(no posi), Endura bumper and custom interior. When I bought it in 1995 it was unmolested and it had the blacked out tail panel. This was not your run of the mill Enamel or Laquer paint. When I wet sanded this stuff with 220 grit I had a dificult time breaking through which leads me to beleve it was aplied at the factory (as apposed to at a body shop).

Any thoughts? What would be a good way to research this car? I'm not interested in the rare aspect as much as what is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 01, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Wink

JP Camaro, I haven't heard of any black small block black tail panels but stranger things have happened. As for your options the 3-speed on the floor is the base transmission for a '69 SS, so is the dog dish hub caps and open rear end, so not to rare. Ralley or SS wheels, posi rearend and 4-spd or TH350 are all add on options even for a SS. Custom interior and endura bumpers are nice options as well but far from uncommon. It is uncommon to still see the 3-spd and dogdish hub caps as they were usually swapped out. These are neat to see these days as they have become a rariety! Even though the black tail panel is not correct according to all books, you just never know what happened that day at the plant or at the dealer after delivery! Sounds like a cool car, keep it stock.

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302, M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood.

1969 SS: Matching # 350/300, M20 4-spd, 3.55 12-bolt posi, Daytona Yellow, Black Houndstooth, Factory Gauges, Spoilers, etc.

'85 Z/28, Rare Factory Yellow, 355 TPI w/ Crane Compu-Cam 2040, Crane adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 22# Injectors, TPIS Airfoil, K&N filters, Hypertech ThermoMaster Stage 2 Chip for '85 Vette, 160 Degree Thermostat, DynoMax Cat Back Exhaust, Rebuilt/Updated 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.23 posi rearend.

69 SS #'s Matching 396, TH400, Cortez Silver, Black Houndstooth, Gauges, Remote Mirror, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode