69 Camaro info and help please :) - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Hello all!
This is going to be long...Just giving warning

Well, I became the owner of a 1969 camaro as of 6pm yesterday. It has been sitting at my next door neighbor's house since about 92 and hasn't moved since. It was owned by an old lady, a very nice one at that. It was her sons, who then gave it to his son.The grandson parked it at grandmas' house in 92 and hasn't touched it since (Ah...storeing cars at grandmothers houses...we've all been there huh?).

AAnnnyyway...Here is what I know about it:
It's a 69 base model w/ a 307 and an automatic in it. VIN# 124379N354526.
It was Olympic gold w/ a black vinyl top (711 & 65B Trim tag). Built 1st week of June.

The interior is perfect! 100% original black std. No rips, leaks, wear or tear!. Whole car has about 12K original miles on it. The car was bought new in 69, by her son. He drove it a bit, parked it, then gave it to his son sometime in the late 80's. He rebuilt the 307 in 92, and parked it at his grandmas house and hasn't cranked it since.

The body has some minor rust in some places, but nothing bad. I checked all of the "Hidden" spots that I knew off hand, no rust (No pine needles either...WHEW!!). The motor was rebuilt in 92, but it hasn't even been turned over in 8 years, I didn't even try it yet (Good thing I live just down-hill from her...coasted it to my house).

Some noteable factory options include AC, PS, Rear defoger, folding rear seats & AM/FM radio (altho it has been removed and placed into the back seat...there is some cheap radio there now).

OK...So where do I go from here? I don't want to restore it (not much rarity to a 307), and I figure this makes the perfect hotrod candidate. I would like to make it into an SS-style clone. I'm looking for an all around cruiser, with some power to back it up. I'd like to have a droped front end, w/ wheel-well fillin' rear tires. I'd like to go more the street-cruiser/ mild pro-street route of custom body molding and looks (I love to custom build stuff for my cars)

How much am I looking at to get the needed body pannels for the SS-clone? Howabout that 307 motor...is there any hope of modifing it, or should I just gut-n'-dump it for a 350/396? Any general 1st gen pitfalls I should look out for?

What rear end did this base model have from factory?

Thanks for any info!
MadMaxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

I'd say your imagination is the only limit here. I wouldn't change a lot of the body to clone an SS since most people don't know the difference, just add the emblems. Rear axle is probably a 3;08 open, 10 bolt. I'd look for a 400 small block to start with. About the same money, more power. Have fun. tom
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have about 3K to spend for now. Hell, I only paid 900$ for the car, so I think I got a good thing going

Oh...mabey you know this. The car says it's olympic gold w/ a black vinyl top (65 B) BUT it's got a white hard top on it??? It has the chrome trim like a v-top would, but no top. Did her grandson just remove it, or was there somesort of factory thing for that?

Its not hard to swap out a 400 in these things huh? Will it mate up to the auto (I think it's a powerglide...uggg.) or should I opt for a TH-400 to go along w/ it?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 04:40 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

just my $.02, you can almost but a new crate motor for the price of building one up, unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. car mag ads have 350/330hp for $2000 and 350/355hp ZZ4 for $3185. most of these come with warranties and you could also add NO2 later if it wasn't enough ponies for you. my guess is the white top has probably been painted when someone didn't want to fool with the vinyl top (get yourself some camaro catalogs - npd, year one, classic, etc. they sell these now). gold with a black vinyl top and black hockey stick ss or hood/trunk z/28 stripes were always my favorite colors. just don't mix and match the clones (no z/28 stripes with ss emblems).
check out this ss 396 that sold on ebay. the pics are still there...
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=215348670
i'd go with a th-400 if possible.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Shook

Thumbs up

Sounds like you got a good thing going. If your looking into a new engine, I think a GM crate engine is right up your alley. Heck, I think they even come with a warranty. Any small or big block will bolt right in. If your looking at racing this car I would look into a TH400 tranny and a 12 bolt rear. But if all you want is a nice cruiser, you could beef up that 10 bolt, add a posi carrier, get new gears, and maybe look into some C-clip eliminators. As for a tranny, a TH350 will handle a decent small block for the street. Oh, your VIN breaks down as follows
12437 = Camaro 8cyl 2dr. Sport Coupe
9 = 1969
N = Norwood Assembly plant
354526 = Unit Number

------------------
Bryan Shook
Burgettstown, Pa
Favorite Quote - Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6673
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Cool. I enjoy building engines, I've built lots of them. My most notable ones were in my 87 IROC (383 TPI...that was a fun motor) and my blown 95' T/A (625hp LT4..ohhh yeah!).
But, I will most likely go w/ a crate motor so I can get this sucker on the road

What about the powerglide? It isn't going to be worth much for cruising is it?

MadMaxx
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Thumbs up

I agree with Mike. Keep the original color (I love gold) and put hockey stripes on it. Those ZZ4 crate motors are supposed to be very nice. I'd switch that powerglide with a 350 turbo which I think bolts right up. Better yet, get a modern overdrive tranny so you can put lower gears in it and still cruise down the highway.

------------------
'69 RS SS L78 convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, SS wheels
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's a 69 base model w/ a 307 and an automatic in it. VIN# 124379N354526.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure that this VIN is correct? The VIN is for a 1968 Camaro.....you stated yours was a 1969. A 1969 VIN should read 124379N5xxxxx, N6, or N7.

Steve

------------------
Steve McCorry
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver

[This message has been edited by mccorry (edited 01-01-2000).]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech

Both the 68 and 69 SS had the SS hood (oil fins). That is the only body difference I am aware of.

If the engine #s match do not sell the engine, keep it in case you want to return the car to original.

------------------
68SS ZZ4, 4sp T-10, 12 bolt, getting painted

78Z28, 330hp vortec, TH350, 10 bolt (just finished)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 00, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mccorry:
Are you sure that this VIN is correct? The VIN is for a 1968 Camaro.....you stated yours was a 1969. A 1969 VIN should read 124379N5xxxxx, N6, or N7.

Steve

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I goofed up the typeing

The body tag also says it's a 69, so I'm pretty sure it is (has the body of a 69..).

Later
MadMaxx

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 00, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Here's my .02.
I think you got a deal, and it would be a good candidate for a hotrod. But, the car has value as is, with that mileage and originality. If you modify it, it will lose $1-2K in value immediately.
I'd suggest another route. Sell it to someone who will appreciate a nice, original 307 cruiser and take the profits and buy a SS or Z shell with a 12 bolt already in it.

An original 307 sold on ebay for 6K.

Also, could you post the correct VIN and the NOR # and X code off of the trim tag?

Thanks!

BTW, my brother worked in Mauldin til a couple of months ago.

------------------
Kurt S.
www.camaros.org

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 00, 03:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Sounds like you got a heck of a deal! Have you tried to start the 307? I bet if you pull the plugs and squirt some liquid wrench in, let it sit a couple of days, lay in some new plugs, battery, and starting fluid, it'll go. Try to break it loose with a big wrench on the crank pulley first, nothing to lose!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode