Warped Head, Blown Gasket, Cracked Block? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 00, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Hey, i'm new here and thought i'd post a question and see what you guys thought. I have a 1969 Camaro RS and i was driving it and then the upper radiator hose blew and split the radiator open. Well anyway, we got a new hose and radiator and started filling the radiator up with antifreeze and water. Well we got about 5 gallons of water and antifreeze and then it starts coming out the tail pipe. And my father said it's either a warped head, blown head gasket or a cracked block which i don't think its a cracked block. But what my question is, if it filled up with that much liquid and stuff what do you think it would be, a warped head, blown head gasket or a cracked block?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 00, 02:38 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Wink

sorry to say,but i think it will be a cracked head or block...but may be just a head gasket.only way to know for sure is pull the heads.good luck

------------------

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 01-02-2000).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 00, 02:46 AM
Tech Team
Dave

Unhappy

Yep, it's time to do a compression test at least, check for water in the oil, pull the heads and check prices on new crate engines.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 00, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech
Drake

Wink

I agree,but i would'nt even crank that engine over at this point.If you put 5 gallons of coolant in,a small block only holds about 3-31/2 gallons,then there is a good chance 1 or more of your cylinders is filled with coolant.If you crank the engine over at all you could do more damage from hydrostatic lock,liquids don't compress.At this point you will have to tear it down anyway,if it's leaking this bad the problem should be obvious when you get it taken apart.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 00, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech

I'm thinking the hose and radiator are results, not causes of inner problems. I'd guess a blown head gasket due to warped head, or something worse in the head. Take out the plugs and look for coolant. This will give you a starting point. Block problems might put water in the oil mostly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 00, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Hey Doug G, please don't say that!! but i'm just hoping it's a head gasket. and Torch I don't think i'll be looking for a new crate engine anytime in the future. Due to that all the numbers match and EVERYTHING on the car is original. My gramps bought the car for my dad in '71 and it's been in the family ever since and my dad gave it to me. We're trying to restore it and rebuild the engine, and well pretty much the whole car. just tryin' to keep everything original, not "supped" up or anything like that. But everybody thanks very much! i'll look into everything you all said.

[This message has been edited by A69CamRSFrk (edited 01-02-2000).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 00, 03:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Pull the plugs and crank it to clear the water. Change the oil, and do a compression test. Low comression in two cylinders next to eachother indicates a blown gasket. Start it and look for bubbles in the radiator. I'm afraid this ones real sick.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 00, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Well when my dad was working on it one day while i was at school he did crank it over. I don't know why he did it, but anywayz, when he did it, everything came out the tail pipe ALL OVER the garage door!! So is that kinda what your talking about??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 00, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech
Drake

Thumbs down

Thats exactly what I thought would happen.I had a friend in high school ,waaaay back when.Same situation,he did more damage on his GTO doing the compression check then he had before he started.If you crank it any more ,I would do it by hand,unless you know the cylinders are clear.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

[This message has been edited by 67drake (edited 01-03-2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode