Heater Core replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

I have to pull out the heater core in my '69! I noticed it had blown, and I spent the day yesterday cleaning up my interior!

Is there anything special I should be concerned about when I do it?? I have done them before, just not on this car. What type if sealant should I use when I re-install it? It looks like silicone on there now.
Also, what, if any, troubles should I anticipate??

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech

try this home page. he has documented his core replacement on a 67 camaro, it will be the same for a 69. good luck!
http://www.67rs.com/macphreak4evr/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 10:34 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Assuming you have a non-A/C car and a small block there's couple things I learned that may help you when I did mine a couple months ago.

There are 5 studs on the inner heater box that go through the fire wall, through the outer box, and tighten with nuts in the engine compartment. The outer box has two additional sheetmetal screws above and below the blower motor inside the fender. (7/16" heads on them if they're original)

The tubes on the end of the heater core are difficult, and on some cars (mine is one), impossible to get through without bending. If this is the case the outer box needs to be completely loosened and slid toward the fender to gain clearance. I would avoid bending these tubes because . . . the solder joint at the end of the tubes can crack and leak on you - then you wind up doing the job again.

It's not that bad of a job, you just need a little patience. Good luck!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 01, 03:50 PM
Senior Tech

Monte,

This has been discussed many times. Use the search function and you will be amazed at what you find. You can try searching in other forums too. I think someone even made a post requesting tips that got a lot of responses.

You will have to remove the passenger side fender on a '69 to get the nuts off around the heater blower motor. Put masking tape on the edges of the door and fender, so you don't scratch them when putting it back together. Good Luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 04:00 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

BTW I got the bolts by the blower motor out of my 68 without removing the fender, so it can be done (I think a 69 would be the same). A nut driver and some grease on my arm and I got the top one. The bottom one I drilled a 3/4" hole in the inner fender well and got it with a socket and wratchet.

BTW There's not much in the archives about these screws and the outer box. I looked when I did mine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 01, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks alot guys! I might try it tonight, if not, then definetly tommorow!! I'll keep you posted...

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode