Side Mirror is Loose - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 00, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

The side mirror on my 69 is loose. I have a base 69 (non SS, RS, or Z). It has only the driver's side mirror, and is stock. My car is built up fairly heavily, so the vibration from the big block is enough to make it point downward after just a few minutes.

How do I make it more "stiff?" (no jokes, please.)

------------------
69/454/TH400/Modified/Street-Strip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 00, 03:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The good news is that it's adjustable, the bad news is the the screw is under the glass. Good luck getting the glass off in one piece!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 00, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Under the glass? Are you kidding me? How in the world did the dealerships adjust this back when these cars were orignially sold? Is there a special tool or technique to removing the glass without breaking it? I had a 68 many years ago where the side mirror was just about rusted in place (at the ball and joint connection). This seems preferable, because once I got it in place it never moved....

------------------

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 00, 03:07 AM
Tech Team

Lightbulb

hello, am a nat glass ***. certified tech,
i think you can access the bolts with the window up! try a good swivel socket or wrench but i still have yet to do a 69 camaro. if not check to see if the glass is rivited in or setting in a channel,
if its rivited you have to drill the rivets (takes special big rivets and gun and rivets) if its in the channel you have to use a tortch to heat it up asyou take a piece of wood and tap the channel off (they bend up pretty easy)
you must have some of the gasket to use in reassembly.

but personaly i would call and ask a certified glass shop what they charge to do it,i woud say around 30$ max (if they pull the glass out) be sure to mark where every bolt is before starting, frameles windows are terrible to adjust and you will have to readjust em a few times
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 00, 04:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Assuming I read your post correctly, and you are talking about the rearview mirror mounted on the door, and your mirror bracket is mounted securely to the door, and your problem is that the mirror head is moving on the bracket, and falling out of adjustment...
Then... The stiffness of the mirror head on it's mounting bracket is set by the screw that mounts the mirror head to the mirror bracket, which is spring loaded.

Soooo... To tighten the mirror head, you got to take the glass off, give the screw a turn or two, and glue the glass, or a new glass, back on.

Life's a bitch...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 00, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Angry

JimM: yes, you are correct. I am talking about the side mirror, and about the joint where the mirror swivels fopr adjustment. The way the mirror secures to the door is not the issue.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Has anyone else on this board ever had to make this fix?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 00, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech

Cool

do a search on back posts or archives. i swear i think someone talked about using clear silicon they used to fix this problem (put some in the ball joint connection and trim the excess?) not sure, but it's may be worth a look.

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 00, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Mike: thanks for the idea! I did a search and found exactly what you were talking about. Here it is:

FROM Manson

posted 11-25-99 11:37 PM

"I'm not familiar with the standard mirrors, but it's a thought. If you want to 'cheat', just put a tiny dab of clear silicone adhesive on the pivot ball, adjust (let dry before driving), and when dry, just take off any visual remnants of the 'goop' with a razor blade"

I'll give it shot and see what happens! Thanks again. US

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode