Those interested in Vintage Air please read this - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Hey fellow enthusiasts - wanted to pass on some good info.

I've been shopping for a Vintage Air system for my '69 and the cheapest I could find was through the Rick's 1st Gen for $1,019 + shipping and no tax. From reading back through posts on this site I contacted Jim Dwyer Classic Chevy @ (209) 941-2112 and had the man, Jim Dwyer, call me back himself. He said that he was trying to build volume with Vintage Air so would offer me the unit for cost plus 10 bucks - no taxes (I'm in Az. and he's in Calif.) and he's going to have Vintage ship directly to my house. Works out to be about $960 total. More importantly (IMHO) he was an extremely cooperative man and a pleasure to deal with.

Just wanted to pass this along in case others are considering the Vintage Air purchase. You can save about $100 and help out a genuine nice guy. Jon

------------------
'69 Restification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 02:33 PM

I am vey interested in this but what I want to know is are you supposed to install this yourslef?Or can they recomend someone in your area to do the work? And to they make one for a 71 camaro?

------------------
70 z/28 4sp,71 camaro hugger orange/white stripes,2000 v8 Grand cherokee.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 02:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Wink

DAMMIT!!!! I need one for the burb. And the wife is sniveling for a new stereo for HER new car. It's just not fair.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 04:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
It's Jim Dyer Chevy Classics in Stockton Ca. Jim is a friend of mine . I buy almost all of my Camaro parts from him. Very Honest hard working guy. He has been doing this for years. If you ever get to a Pomona Swap Meet in LA he is usually there selling with a line about 6 people deep.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

zgator - not sure about what year Camaros they carry but I bet they carry them for the 2nd gen's like yours. On their website (www.vintageair.com) they list applications and also dealers in your area. The dealers they list will install the unit for you but expect to pay another $700 for the install. I guess they estimate 16 hours X $50/hr. I called a couple guys here in Phoenix but their prices were high (one guy wanted $1250 just for the unit) and they all quoted me a price including installation first before I told them I was going to install it myself. I've already got the car stripped pretty good with the passenger fender off and heater out so it shouldn't be a big deal. I'll let you know how tough it was when I get it done. I generally guage a job's toughness on how many cuss words I utter and knuckles scraped.

Steve - Wives are supposed to say stuff like that. That and "You're not REALLY going to eat that double-decker salami and onion sandwich before bed are you?" More importantly - what does your girlfriend say? (just kidding brother)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 07:44 AM
Team Member
John

JonT -

I think you'll be pleased with the Vintage Air system - just be sure and follow the instructions on wiring and vacuum plumbing to the letter, as that controls all functions. Mine would roast you out on full heat and you could hang meat in the car on full cold A/C!

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode