HEI VS POINTS - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Want to hear feedback on points versus hei. Got a big block which is running a points type ignition. Runs real strong and am wondering if the switch to HEI is worth it. Also if I switch to an HEI am I better off going with a coil mounted on the HEI itself or an external coil. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech

Always remote mount any coil, even with stock coil-in-cap HEI systems. Gets at least 40 degrees under-cap temp out of there, gives oil-filled coil, capable of much more sustained higher voltages. ALL coil-in-cap coils are epoxy filled, run hotter than oil filled, will fail easier, bleed off voltage when hot.

Can you tell I'm an HEI fan?, just not like GM built it. I like to re-arrange mine a little. MSD is only other ignition to consider.

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 06-05-2000).]
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Definitely go with electronic. The main disadvantage of points is that that performance drops off as they wear. Electronics never wear. Also, you get rid of one pain in the butt item of maintenance - replacing the points.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 4/5/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 00, 01:59 PM
Tech Team

Just a couple of counterpoints from the local performance shop.First, HEI's with on cap coils are run at the track at 6000 RPM's with no difficulty from the heat.The racers put a couple of small holes in the cap for ventilation. Second, MSD amoung others are starting to go with epoxy based coils and recommend changing an oil filled coils every three years. I was ready to change mine but with this conflicting info I'll stand pat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode