'69 Seat position - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 00, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

In my '69 the stock seat location doesn't give me as much room as I would like - I'd really like to move it back another inch or so and maybe even lower it a bit. Anybody else run into this and find a fix?

Right now I'm leaning toward getting some 1/4" x 1-1/4" or so steel strap and bolting it to the floor and then mounting the seats to it but a little farther back. I was also considering sectioning a little (1/2" or so) out of the seat brackets to lower the seat slightly.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 00, 06:32 AM
Senior Tech

If you have much success with doing this, please let me know as I am 6'3" 220 lbs. and have been considering making the same changes for a while now..
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 00, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

I can look at a parts car I have with no carpet tonight but I believe that there are two sets of holes for the front seats. You may want ot make sure you have it bolted to the rear set for more room. Although I think they are only a inch or so farther back. I can't picture it but I know there are two sets of holes in the seat brace on the floor.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 00, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech

Good idea. I am planning to do something similar to my 68. I don't have enough headroom. I would much rather have the extra headroom than seat adjustability, after all who else is going to be driving the car.

Stevee R.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 00, 12:50 PM

Red face

PLEASE someone email me also if someone has a solution to this. I am 6' 210, not even as tall as the previous poster, and It is really cramped. Espcially with the stiff suspension and hipo motor, often on dips in the road I bang my head on the roof!! This is because the drivers seat is too close and doesn't recline at all. [email protected]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 00, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Not all Camaros have the 2 sets of seat holes. You might or might not. Deluxe interior seats leave less headroom than Standard. I'm 6'3", 215 LB. and fit in standard but head hits in Deluxe.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 00, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech

Clill, I didn't know some didn't have two sets of holes as all I've seen is two. Thanks for the correction. Do you know why some didn't have two sets? Did it have to do with some interior option like std or deluxe? Where it was built maybe as I believe all I have seen is Norwood cars living in MA
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 00, 09:13 AM
Senior Tech

FYI- Mine is a Norwood car, X77 code. 1969 Base coupe with Z28 package. Bare bones except for the Z stuff. I have 2 sets of holes.

------------------
Shawn Peterson
1969 Z28, 406SB
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 00, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech

Why not remove the seats from the brackets, drill four new holes a little further forward on the seat bottoms and re-install?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 00, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My car just has one set of holes in the floor so no options there. I will have to pull the seat out and check to see if I can move the bracket relative to the seat bottom and reattach it.

However, I'm pretty sure I can trim out at least 1/2" in height from the legs of the adjustable brackets and weld them back together. Then I can use the steel strap approach to move them rearward a bit. I'll work on it some this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 00, 08:54 AM
Tech Team

You might want to try installing a couple of brackets under the front mounting locations to tilt the seat back a little.I did this on my 69 to give a more reclined position which makes you feel further back. In addition it gives you more thigh support but your feet are still close to the pedals. I used 2 square U shaped brackets with holes on either end. One hole bolts to the floor, nut and bolt the other side to the seat. Good luck.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 00, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Got one seat rail cut and welded yesterday and then went to help a neighbor mount this giant board on the side of his house. Of course, it fell off and nearly took off the end of my thumb. A dozen stitches, one crushed thumb bone, no nail and not much fun later they got me re-assembled. Unfortunately, that means a slight delay in completing this particular task! I'll get back to it in a few weeks and report in then with the results.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK, boys - I finally got healed enough to get back to this little task.

The modifications I made worked great! My seat is now 1 1/2" farther back and over 1/2" lower, everything fits back in the car just fine, and the adjustments still work. I'm 5'11" with a longer torso and shorter legs. When I'm sitting in newly recovered seats with lots of padding there's over an inch of headroom and plenty of leg room!

Here's what I did:

I bought some mild steel 1/8" X 2" strap and cut 2 pieces 16 3/4" long (I used a full length strap for convenience and strength. After removing the seat and then the seat brackets, I placed them each on a piece of strap and lined up the front edge of the bracket with the front edge of the strap. I marked through the floor mounting holes with a fine point black marker.

After drilling these holes out with a 3/8" drill and elongating them into slightly adjustable slots,I measured back 1-1/2" from the hole centerlines and reset the brackets on these points. Next, I measured 1/2" up from the bottom of the foot and marked this point on each vertical leg. Then I marked on the strap where the vertical leg of the bracket would contact it once I cut the "foot" of the bracket off (I used a square and set it on the strap and lined it up with the mark on each leg).

Next step is to cut the foot off each leg at the 1/2" mark. Then I set the brackets in place on the strap and welded them into place.

There's a little bonus here on the seat height. The seat mounting pan on the floor actually slants downward to the rear so the seat gets higher when it's moved forward and lower when moved back. So when you move the seat another 1-1/2" rearward you get more than the 1/2" drop. If you needed more headroom you could even cut a bit more out of the brackets.

Finally, minor adjustments in seat angle and height can be made by inserting washers between the brackets and the seat bottom.

Anyhow, that's my solution. Hope this helps some of you out. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll most likely be doing the passenger side in the next week or so and I'll take pictures if anyone's interested.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
'99 HD Road King Classic
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 00, 08:24 AM
mwh
Senior Tech
Marc

Scott,

Thanks for the the very good info. I'm 6'7" tall, and getting in my 69 Z/28 is a squeeze! I am looking forward to moving at least the driver seat when I begin my resto, and your experience will help out a lot.

-Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode