HEI distributor? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 00, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Question

i was just wondering if an HEI distributor will bolt into my 68 350 camaro. will the distributor clear the firewall and fit snuggly?
and most of all is it a good idea to change from the mallory twin point to an HEI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 00, 12:35 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
personally i don't like points ignition systems,but thats me. yes a HEI will fit,but with some modifications,first need to see if it'll clear the firewall,if not may need to "dent" in slightly,also will need to change the hot wire to power the HEI.not as hard as it seems,and i feel its well worth it.some one else had a posting on this and got an answer about a small cap HEI,check that out too.good luck.

------------------
My68CamaroThis CamaroNet - the Webring for the 1st Generation Chevrolet Camaro site .

Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 02:53 AM
Senior Tech

actually you SHouldnt need to do anything, just dont get the coil that I have, its too close. look at my website under engines for more details,. but the HEI will fit fine . you should run a new 14G wire to the fuseblock on a resisted circut (so it will shut off when you turn the key off) or you may choose to use your orig wire that energized the old (or soon to be old) coil there have been Numerous posts on this issue, so if you search on HEI you will find about 6 million posts on it since its a hot topic. but YES it is possible and Does work with No hassle.

------------------
Chris's 67 RS can be seen at http://www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/index.html
JOIN THE CAMARO NET WEBRING! www.geocities.com/macphreak4evr/webring/webringjoin.htm !!!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 03:28 AM
Tech Team

I converted my 1969 to HEI and had to "massage" the firewall a little to get it to fit. Works much better than the old points distributor.

Mike
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 04:12 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I have been noticing that on some cars the motor sits back closer to the firewall than others. A good example is my '69 rs convertible vrs a friends '69 rs convertible. His motor is way forward with the fan tucked deep into the fan shroud. Mine is at least 1" further back. My firewall was dented to allow the HEI to fit his fit fine.

There was a post here a few days ago that mentioned positioning of the motor and motor mounts but didn't get much attention...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 05:00 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

DJD,

The engine in my Camaro fits like yours - closer to the firewall. I did not install an HEI because I would have had to "massage" the firewall.

I went with an aftermarket distributor that fit no problem.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 00, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech

You can change engine mounts to alter the engine setback. The further back the better from a weight distribution point of view.

But you can move it forward about an inch by changing to different mounts (BB, SB, and 6 cyl. will all work for all engines)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 05:10 PM
Tech Team

I had to slightly dent the firewall with a ball peen hammer also....can't see it when the cap is on, but when I retard the timing and push the vacuum canister toward the firewall, I get a squeak inside the car from the cap(?) or dist(?) rubbing against the firewall. Can especially hear it when i turn a corner. Guess I need to take dist. back out and "modify firewall a little deeper"
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 06:25 PM
Senior Tech

You might contact Graeme Webb, www.enginecentre.com.au for info on his compact distributor, is built like my small body HEI, on a point distributor body, under licence from me.

Graeme is here in the states at this time, gathering cores and Chevrolet engines for use in Australia and New Zealand at this moment. His distributors are marketed under the Zenith name brand.

I am the originator of the small-body HEI built on a point distributor body.

Dave Ray (aka the real IgnitionMan)
DAVE's small-body HEI.s

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 06-23-2000).]
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 07:38 PM
Tech Team

If clearance is a problem, try using a mallory "unilite". I have one on my 396 and it kicks butt.......
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 06:48 AM
Tech Team

My 2 cents: After owning a number of Chevys with points distibutors, I can see why the HEI is attractive. I wouldn't mind using a stock HEI if looks and clearance weren't an issue. Looks are a big deal with me and I could no sooner take a hammer to my Camaro's firewall than to my dog. I chose to go with Dave's small body HEI and I think its the best option if looking original and getting better performance is what you want. If looks and clearance are not an issue, than by means use a stock HEI. Although I do remember a thread where IgnitionMan mentioned not using the stock in-cap coil. The heat generated seems to affect performance.
PS, IgnitionMan: I sent my core off yesterday(Friday) via priority mail.

------------------
Jeff Bradway - my resto page: http://67camaro.virtualave.net
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 11:24 AM
Senior Tech

Thanks, Jeff. I'll keep a look-out for it.

As Jeff stated, moving the coil out of the cap is a good idea, for the coil-in-cap HEI. You get a much better coil and the under-cap temps cool off a good 40d/F.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

check the archives under small body HEI or my name (mike brown). you'll can follow the many posts i made on Dave's. i have one in my 396 and gas mileage jumped 2 mpg. very happy with it. dave i see you never push your own product, are you slowing down?

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech

No, Mike, not slowing down. I don't believe in posting ads in BBs, I want honest feedback from users, as yourself, and for others to make their own choices from the facts, not ad hype. That can only come from user feedback to everybody. BBs are good, everybody sees the posts, no bull, no hype.

I must point out that when Mike got his unit from me, it ran about 5 minutes, them coughed a module, defective part-new, but was fixed within an hour or so, by mikem then I sent him a propmt refund for his module purchase, and an apology for the hassles. It's called honesty, I insist on being honest, always. This type of failure on one of my conversions is very, very rare, only 6 modules in over 20 years of conversions.

Anybody can say their product is the best, highest this or that, best high-zoot banger or something, but the one that actually works may just get snow'd under by the ad BS.

Just about everybody thinks the PerTronix coils will simply put out 40,000 volts plug energy with any system it is thrown at right out of the box, and nobody reads the really fine print within the parenthesis on that box, "(available)". What that means is that the coil will make the voltage if the system driving it will drive it at that performance level. Unfortunately, most non-CD systems (except HEI) won't drive the coil any more than simply making the voltage needed to bridge the plug gaps, mostly between 6,000 to 7,000 volts, no more. NO MORE!

The HEI I build makes 29,000 to 32,000 volts because the HEI changes the way the coil is charged and fired over point and drop-in systems. Point and drop-in systems are the weakest performers (6,000 to 7,000 volts), lotta much better is the HEI (depending on components 26,000 to 32,000 volts), then the Capacitor-Discharge systems (40,000 volts to start), best.

It is hard to get a person who had been bombarded with ad hype to see the real truth about ignition, carb and tuning topics, so I just post the facts, and let people either accept the truth or remain in their ad hype dream world. I get a lot of rocks thrown at me for saying and posting what is the truth, but it's worth it in making the correct answer post.

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 06-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by IgnitionMan (edited 06-25-2000).]
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 00, 12:51 AM
Tech Team

I-Man, which coils work best with you units. So far I have looked at the Accel Super Stock and MSD Blaster 2. Are there any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode