68 Still leaning drivers side??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Had the front end springs changed,changed body bushings and the car still leans..

I put the car up on jack stands on the frame all 4 corners...I then measure from the floor pan to the ground same at all the way around..I then measure from the rear frame rail (at 3 locations) tothe ground both sides everything lines up (+/- 2/8)..Then I measured from the bottom of the rear quarters same both sides(+/- 2/8)..I then measure from the rear quarter wheel well opening to the ground and I'm off 1/2 inch... also with the car on jacks the passengers side rear tire hangs lower than the drivers side by 1/2 inch and when jacking up the driverside comes off the ground first....

I am confussed..I don't believe the frame is twisted based on the fact that all my measurements are on the money from the frame to the ground..Could something be binding the rear end...The lean appears worst when on the ground and not as noticable when on stands(on the stand it still appears to lean just not as bad)...Even thought the measurements do not change from the wheel well to the ground the drivers quarter wheel well opening still sit lower on the drivers side by 1/2"...Any thoughts thanks in advance...

Also I believe the passengers side leaf spring has been replaced or has been out of the car since all the hardware looks newer on the passengers side(Can still losen everything by hand..passengers side)..the drivers side all the bolts are a rusted mess..Thanks

------------------
76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed.. # Matching..

68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 07-05-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 06:43 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via MSN to the mechanic Send a message via Yahoo to the mechanic
Question

i seem to remember this being a problem with the 68-74 novas thats why alot of people myself included ran airshocks with 2 separate lines,i would be interested as to why also.

------------------
chris
1980 Z/28
(under construction)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech

Just checking, how much do you weigh?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I weight 240lbs.. ..But I just brought the car 4 weeks ago(so couldn't be me )..The car was restored 2 yrs ago(Owner got tired and moved on to another project)It sat on the back of a trailer(going from show to show) for 2 yrs before I brought it 4 weeks ago) and am in the process of putting it back together...He replaced front fenders,valance front and rear,floors,trunk,doors, rad support, passengers side quarter and complete new interior...Thats the history of the car..Or at least what I know of it..Thanks again

------------------

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Cool

I believe you answered your own question,

You stated the pass spring has been replaced, you should buy another one, check with last owner what part number he bought, or just buy a new pair and replace the set. And new rubbers to go with them.

Make sure the front subframe is parallel to the floor(of the car) underneath. As with age in all of us, we may sag in a few places, one place would be the rear mounting bolt under the seats. The frame may start to pull the floor down, and using the firewall as a fulcum, the front wheel goes up, therefore, giving the car a lean to one side.

Quarterpanels can be installed alittle off at time of replacement, but, they don't support thr wheel(s). They do help in triangulation of supporting the components with the weight-bearing loads.

Anyway, enjoy the ride, I used to have a 68 327/4-spd plain jane, wished I never would have sold it, but, life goes on, then we die.

Keep us informed as to what you find....

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

If the rear spring on the driver's side has rusted bolts, etc and the passenger side looks cleaner, you may have a newer spring on the passenger side with more lift. You could swap the springs side to side if you don't want to buy new ones with out teesting first, but chances are you wind up cutting those rusty bolts getting them out anyway.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 05:29 PM
Team Member
John

You mentioned you had the front springs changed - do you know if they tightened up the lower control arm bushings with the car on a lift or on its wheels? If they tightened the bushing bolts with the suspension hanging free, the bushings are now "wound-up", which will change the ride height, make it ride harder, and will destroy the bushings much sooner than you expect. Same thing goes for the rear spring front bushings and rear shackle bushings. There's a reason the A.I.M. always shows that bushing bolts are only to be tightened with the suspension at design height, and that's the way it was done - many shops just tighten things up the way it's most convenient for them, and figure the customer won't know the difference.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 04:53 AM
Senior Tech

Talking

Man I love this site.

My 67 leans a little to the drivers side and the front seems to be a little high. I did a total suspension rebuild with new springs all the way around. I read a post a while back about not tightening the rear suspension shackle bolts until the car was down but hadn't thought about doing the same on the front. I'm sure I tightened everything up on the jack stands.

I'm going to loosen them up and retighten on the ground and see if that helps. Thanks JohnZ.

Mark M.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
John

I have been trying to get mine to sit level for some time. Mine also sits about 1/2-3/4'' lower on the driver's side. I have changed the springs, done the proper tightening techniques, everything short of putting in a lowering block on one side. It still leans a little. Ack!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Angry

Seems lika a common problem...Mine also leans slightly to the drivers side.

I was under the impression that my original monoleaf springs were to blame. Guess I will never know for sure till my suspension rebuild is complete later this summer.

Could the leaning be the result of drag racing or years of hard use without subframe connectors (eg body twist)?

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4 at http://www.100megsfree.com/choptop/camaro.html
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 01:06 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Mine has had that leaning problem too and I've seen it come and go. I thought I had it nailed a couple weeks ago after going through the whole thing with David Posi. But it came back a week after I replaced the passenger side spring. Now it seems to come and go.

I'm pretty sure the leaf spring bushings are the culprit - rear ones to be exact. I think maybe the stock rubber ones aren't up to the job of taking the extra abuse from my lift bars. I'm going to try stiffer self-lubricating poly bushings just in the back just to see if that does the trick. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Maybe we should start a club - call it "Leaning Camaros Anonymous" or something. We could even make up our own 12 step program.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 02:04 PM
Tech Team

When installing front springs remember two key points. 1) They only go in one way, the top should be marked 2) There is a pilot slot/indentation to recieve the end of the spring in the upper control arm, if the spring is not rotated correctly it will sit high close to a half inch...check your work.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech

I wonder if I put my front springs in right. mmmmm........man I hate the thought of checking them but may have to....

Mark M.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am leaning toward the drivers rear leaf spring...Since the car is lower on the driverside when on the ground 1/2" and when car is on the jack stands(frame) and the suspension is at full hang the driverside wheel does not hang as low as the passengerside by 1/2 inch...unless I push it down and it moves 1/2 inch passengers side does not move at all at full hang..

I mentioned this to a local spring shop and the owner explained to me that leaf springs after a while lose there arc so instead of springing and pushing the rearend down the full travel it will actualy be somewhat bent and support the rearend from full hang..Makes sense to me I guess

All I know is that the driverside sits lower when on the ground by 1/2" and when the suspension is at full hang(wheels hanging)..the passengers side wheel hangs lower than the drivers side by 1/2"..Thus leading me to believe the leaf spring has lost some of its arch..

Also JohnZ I didn't see them remove the lower A-arms..They removed the springs by removing the ball joints(replaced also) and spindle and then lowering the A-arm with a jack..Should they have loosened the lower A-arm?????

Thanks guys for all the imput..I really appreciate all the help..Thanks again

------------------

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 07-10-2001).]
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech

I too have a lean to the left condition! New front and rear springs,shocks, bushings,body mounts, but my right side sits about 2 inches higher than the left.One thing i found is if the body bushing holes rot out,which is common,the bushing will start to fall into the frame.if the left front bushing does this it will lower the driver side and in turn kick up the right rear.

------------------
68 camaro,hugger orange ,white stripes.327 4 speed.
http://members.spree.com/entertainment/ochrisl/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode