cooling my big block - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Question

I've read numerous posts concerning the cooling of 500+ hp big blocks. I have mild 454 in my 69 RS that I'm sure won't be one of these big hp makers. According to my desktop dyno, the rat makes about 510 hp, but I just can's see it. It's basically a .030 over 454 with 396 heads, a lunati hydraulic cam, Victor Jr. intake, 750 Holley dp and large tube headers. Ok, on to the question......I'm still using the stock 3 core radiator with a flex fan and no shroud. I don't have a million dollars to spend, but I don't want to overheat the beast either. I was thinking of purchasing a clutch type fan and a shroud. Do you guys think this would be efficient? Should I just save my money and opt for a Be-Cool or Griffin and electric fans? I won't be going on any power tours, but I would love to be able to take a Sunday drive in the Mississippi heat without having to worry about overheating. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 02:49 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
3 core 21" with a clutch fan and shroud would be at the lower limits.I would try to go with at least a 23" 4 core with the shroud and clutch fan... better to be safe than sorry.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 03:19 PM

I would go with same, 23" 4 core shroud, 7 blade fan, and fan clutch. Better to be safe than sorry.
You could go with the griffin, 2 core(1 1/4" each)Al. radiator but they're $400-$500 range.
It's what fits your budget.
Good luck with your project.

Bob

------------------
69 Coupe LeMans-Blue
Frame-Off Resto, ZZ-502/502 Crate, A/C, Griffin Rad., March Serpintine Sys., 2800 Stall with Hughes T-400, Currie 9" with 370 Gears.
http://www.geocities.com/mobiletools1/Mvc-440f.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mobile_tools01/

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 03:22 PM

A hot beast is not a happy beast. I've got about the same setup in my 69SS. right now i just got the fan and shroud. Past exspirence has taught me that if the rat can't cool itself at idle after running alittle hard (most altered BB won't) then it'll need some help. I'm planning on adding a electric fan and therm. may i sugest getting the therm that goes into the block\manifold instead of the one that attaches to the radiator, just seems better to me to get the temp reading off of the engine verses the radiator. just my opinion. happy cruisin.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 03:41 PM

I have a 68 with a 396 BB I put in a be cool radiator with a clutch style fan, I plan on putting in a shroud but as of yet don't have one, even with no shroud and in the summer idleing in the drive way, the hotest it ever got was about 195. I don't claim to be an expert but the be cool has worked great for me.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 00, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I thought a 4 core and shroud would be the way to go, but I just wanted a second opinion. I found a shroud for $60.00 and a 4 core radiator for $269.00 @ GMuscle.com. Do any of you guys know where I can find a better deal, or is this about as good as it gets? What about the clutch fan vs. electric....any of you guys have first hand experience with the difference in cooling?

Jody
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 02:41 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Hey Check out Ricks First Generation Their 4 core shipped to me was only $210.00 & their fan Shourds were cheaper too than anyone else. Happy New Year to all.

------------------
johnny
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 06:35 AM

WE GOT OUR 4-CORE RADIATOR FROM D&R CLASSIC
AUTOMOTIVE FOR 199.95 THIS WAS A 23" AUTO
FOR A 67-69 CAMARO.
TRAVIS
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech

Jody,

Check out the BeCool vs Griffen post in the performance section. There is a lot of sound advice there. My 23" 4-core/7 blade clutch fan and factory shroud cooled a 375 (maybe 400 hp) 396 just fine in my car (180 all day), but is having problems keeping up with the 502 (200 - 210 all day). I am seriously concidering gooing with aluminum, but may try the electric fan route first.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Talking

awsm502,

Let me know if you change to electric fans and if this helps.

Thanks to everyone for the info and opinions.

Happy New Year!!

Jody
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 07:09 AM

Question

Is 200/210 tooo hot for the 502 all day if the cap is good?? Trying to get all info possible for my 496. Thx. pdq67

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Mobiletools,

Summit has that griffin rad for 280.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 01:05 PM

Lonnie67 I saw those in there but they are 1" tubes. The one I orderd has 1 1/4" tubes. with a trans cooler.
It might not sound like much difference but with the heat a 502 gives off it will matter. I'm runninng A/C in my car also.
Happy New Year, Bob

------------------
69 Coupe LeMans-Blue
Frame-Off Resto, ZZ-502/502 Crate, A/C, Griffin Rad., March Serpintine Sys., 2800 Stall with Hughes T-400, Currie 9" with 370 Gears.
http://www.geocities.com/mobiletools1/Mvc-440f.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mobile_tools01/
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

They have both, 1" for $182, 1.25" for $282. They don't have tranny coolers though or Camaro mounts. I bought one from Summit, the 1.25" version. 6 months ealier I bought the same one from Bill Mitchell for $250, he matched a price I saw in National Dragster. When I called him for another one, he almost called me a liar untill he looked up the invoice. He wouldn't budge on his price, something like $350. I told him he better pick up a summit catalog. They don't say 1.25 in the catalog but they are. You can see pics of them at my website, under "engine pics" for both Camaros.

Lonnie

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech

Jody,

If I get the car to run at 180 deg this summer, I will scream the solution from the roof tops.

pdq67

200/210 just makes me nervous. With a 16lb Stant cap I never had a boilover. But with Aluminum heads and a cast block, you always have to be nervous about warpage/blown head gaskets. Plus, I want to put the A/C back on, and want the comfort zone. With cast heads/block and no A/C maybe you can live with it. I just fear the day of seeing white smoke (not tire smoke, mind you) in the rear view mirror.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode