Radiator Overflow Tank???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

Ok here is a very dumb question. I'm sitting outside about 10 minutes ago letting my car warm up in the driveway. My neighbor comes over and we start chatting about the car. Nextr thing I know there is radiator fluid leeking on the ground. I look over the car and see the overflow plastic hose that connects right on top of the radiator next to the filler cap is just hanging down to the bottom of the car. I'd say about 2-3 ounces of fluid hit the ground. So here's my question. Did these cars come with overflow tanks or does the fluid just run out of that hose onto the ground when the fluid rises in the radiator. My machanic just flushed the radiator and maybe he overfilled it????

HELP!!>>>??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 03:11 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Didn't come with an overflow... If it doesn't do it any more it was likely too full. If it continues to spew get your cap tested.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 03:14 PM
Senior Tech
William

Sorry, no coolant recovery tanks for 1st gen Camaros; overflow just drools onto the pavement. Having vended at dozens of swap meets I can say that many people are suprised to hear there wasn't one. If you plan to go drag racing you will need one.

When the thermostat opens there is much turbulance as coolant is pumped into the radiator. In your case a small amount got into the hose, possibly due to air trapped in the system.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 05:32 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

Do a search. Afew weeks ago there was a post on this. The idea of using a windshield resevoir installed on the fender by the battery was suggested. I'm going to do that
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 1st, 01, 05:37 PM
DelGratta

You probably know this, but I thought it worth mentioning given the topic. Keep the pets away drom the overflow (or wipe it up)

Pets are drawn to coolant; probably because of the smell is sweet. It happens to be deadly to pets if ingested.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Smile

Guys thanks for the info. The wiper fluid tank sounds like a good idea. Where are you going to mount that Gary???

Del I actually know this and forgot to clean the area - I'll spray it down this mornning before I go to work.

Thanks again all...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 02:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Without an overflow tank, the normal fluid level will be about 1" below the radiator neck. If it was topped off, then you saw the purge. Personally, I like maintaining full capacity and a tank is the way to go. The idea of using the windshield washer container is great because you can mount it in the stock location. Of course, going this way, you don't have a windshield washer anymore but it's a tidy installation. I'm going to do it, too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 09:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joseph

mine empties into the old windsheild wiper container. pretty nice.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 10:38 AM

Smile

you can also get a nice heavy duty platic tank from summit racing. it has a relief lever for easy emtying, and the come in colors!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Clever idea using the original wiper tank. My wipers function perfect but my pump is dead. Hey I guess I can cross that part off my "needed to buy list". So what do you do just drain the wiper fluid tank - clean it and then run a longer hose from radiator too it? Sounds too easy....Thanks for the info everyone.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

68-327 - Rick's sells a pump repair kit with all of the parts you need to fix your pump. It is even manufactured in the correct white color. I would rather have my windshield washer work.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

I found a square cheapy in the PAW catalog. It has three tabs with mounting holes - 2 on top, one on bottom. I just mounted it on the fender brace by the battery using the two on the top. I think it cost me all of 6 bucks. I'm sure there are fancier ones out there, but if you want a no frills container, this one works.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

If you have a standard front end Camaro, leave the current washer container in place,and leave it hooked up. You may want to use it some day. If you have a RS front end, place the washer bracket in the same holes on the passenger side fender. OR drill the holes and install the bracket there near the front of the inner fender. It will look more professional than using soda bottles or universal containers. Yhis was the short answer!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

My last post may have vanished, so a short answer. Put the washer bracket near the front passenger side inner fender. This set up will look more professional
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 01, 09:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Did one of those reservoirs, used in other early model cars, that look like a plastic bag be used for that purpose? Will it resist the heat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode