What material will seal this fuel leak? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

My Q-Jet on my LG4 was stripped at the fuel inlet nut, so I installed a self-tapping nut. Only problem is that the original nut was designed to seal internally and the new nut has an external gasket. This gasket will NOT seal against the thin outside edge of the fuel inlet. I tried a Buna N70 O-Ring along with the gasket...that held for a little while and then started leaking again.

My question is...what material is suitable for sealing this? I was told I could use RTV Hi-Temp silicone, but it says on the back of the package that it's not for use with gasoline-immersed parts. I could just use some epoxy but I don't want to make this permanent if not absolutely necessary. Right now I'm using some Gasoila thread sealer to make the seal...it says it's insoluble in gasoline, but I don't know how it'll work. If anyone has any suggestions of a type of gasket or gasket-forming substance that'll resist constant gasoline immersion, if you could tell me where to find it, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 07:53 PM
Senior Tech

Mark
I used Loctite Gas Tank Sealer on my Nova and the stuff works. It's the same consistency as J-B Weld, so you could easily use it for sealing a fitting. It stays flexible, so I imagine you could remove it when necessary.
Hope this helps- Pete

[This message has been edited by pete b (edited 01-06-2001).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 02:29 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Red face

You may not like my suggestion here, but thought I would try to help save you from a potential disaster. I would suggest replacing the stripped part - the carb body, fitting or whatever. Don't ever take a chance with a fuel leak to save a few bucks. I had one go up in flames once, and was lucky enough to put out a potentially huge fire with only rag. If you opt for a repair just make sure you're confident it's a good one and will last for the long haul. Good luck.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech

Unhappy

I agree with Eric68. Don't take the chance of a potential fire over saving money. My 67 went up in flames after I had a similar problem with an Edelbrock Performer carb. One neighbor's fire extinguisher and a $3000 repair bill later (which luckily was covered under my $200 comprehensive deductible), the extensive engine compartment, front suspension, and paint damage was repaired. DON'T TAKE THE CHANCE!!

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech

There is a part made to fix this. Has a rubber type ring with a nut around the fuel inlet tube. You put the insert in the inlet and tighten the nut and it swells the rubber and seals it up. Check with local parts stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode