new gas tank straps - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

I'm putting a new gas tank, straps and rubber insulating strips in a friend's '69 Camaro. The rubber strips that go on the straps are longer than the narrow part of the strap and not wide enough to go over the wide part of the strap (does any of that make sence?). My question is, am I suppose to cut the rubber off as short as the narrow part of the strap or leave it long and put up with the bad fit? Also, there is a rectangle piece of foam rubber, about 3 inches by 6 inches and 3/8 inch thick, with the insulating strips. Where is this suppose to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 01:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

The rubber with the ridge goes under the tank. Mine were too long and had to be trimmed. The square piece goes on top behind the sending unit to cushion the tank from the trunk floor. The 'regular' strips of rubber go on top to cushion the tank from the tank strap brackets. It may seem you need two more hands/arms at times.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech
Brad

Another good tip is to glue all the rubber strips down with weatherstrip glue before putting the tank in. This will save you some extra hands.

------------------
Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in process)
Godspeed #3

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Thanks, I did glue the strips on top of the tank. So do I just cut the strips with the ridges to fit the narrow part of the straps or should I cut the ridges off where the wide part of the strap is and leave them long?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
John

when I did mine, it seemed as though the rubber (with the lip) was too narrow for the tank straps. As I tightened it down though, I just bent out the lip on both sides and it fit fine once the strap was tight. They are too long, I snipped about 2'' from the end.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Freddie

Thanks, I got it all in and it looks fine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 05:19 PM
Team Member
John

I can't imagine why these parts outfits supply rubber insulators for the gas tank straps that drive everyone crazy trying to install their new straps - the cars NEVER had insulators on the steel straps - they only had three insulators - the two long ones (like roofing paper) that go on top of the tank to insulate it from the mounting saddles on the body, and the square one that glues to the top of the tank just rearward of the sending unit. The steel straps just wrap under the tank, with no insulators at all - that's why the straps are almost impossible to install with the extra rubber insulator strips that come in the "strap kits". The factory installed the entire tank, straps and all, in less than one minute - with NO insulators on the straps. Extra parts, extra problems

*****Edit 7/10*****

Check the A.I.M., UPC 8, Sheet B4 - no insulators on straps - just the two long pieces and the square piece on top of the tank. Mine is an untouched original 02D '69 car, no insulators on straps; yours will be the same unless someone added them.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 07-10-2001).]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 06:58 PM
Jeff

JohnZ extra parts is extra $$$
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I'm pretty sure mine had 4 strips. 2 over the tank and two on the mounting straps. They were made of tarpaper, and I made replacements put of tarpaper. My straps were not prebent, so I meticulously fit mine to the new tank. A little contact cement on the strips, and it went right in, no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode