Roller rockers and Valve covers?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

New I had to change my valve cover gaskets so went out and brought a new gasket and some edelbrock sig valve covers...I remove the factory steel valve cover and I fine roller rockers....I put on the new gasket and valve covers without a problem..Then my buddy comes over and asked how I am using low profile valve covers with roller rocker...Here is my question..the valve covers went on fine they are the same dimensions as the ones they replaced(low profile)..The car runs and revs fine without any problem..The rockers are not hitting...Is this set up OK..or will I run into problems down the line..I mean is there a chance that when I get on the throttle under load the rockers would hit..or am I safe in assuming that if the rockers do not hit at idle and while reving the clearances will not change under load on the highway..Any thougts thanks in advance

------------------
76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed.. # Matching..

68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech

There are two different types of roller rockers. One are roller tipped rockers that are basically steel rockers with the roller tips. These typically do NOT need any additonal clearance because they are about the same overall height as the stock rockers.

The other type are the true full roller rockers that have needle bearings and also typically have a locking nut arrangement. Now these DO need taller than stock valve covers for clearance. An example would be the Crane GOLD roller rockers.

A cams lift DOES not change as the RPM increases so if you clear while idling you should be OK.

Which type roiler rockers do you have????

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 07-07-2001).]
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 01:53 AM
Senior Tech

What a nice surprise to find under factory valve covers, just like a bonus!

Is it your birthday?

Jim

------------------
Jim Byrd
1970 350 four bolt, .060, Speed pro hyper pistons, stock crank and rods, '77 vette GM manifold, edelbrock 600cfm, comp magnum 280H cam, '993' 75cc heads, comp springs, manley valves 1.96"-- In 1972 Nova, aka Camaro in grocery getter's clothing.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 02:32 AM
Senior Tech

I currently have crane Blazer full roller rockers with posi locks with standard valve covers. The rockers do not hit. I will admit that there is very little clearance, but they do fit.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 02:39 AM
Senior Tech

I currently have crane gold roller rockers and stock height valve covers....no problem.

your friend might mean that if u use some type of stud girdle then u would have clearance problems....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 03:00 AM
Tech Team
Kevin

Some heads allow for roller rockers and stock valve covers by raising the valve cover rails.

I have a set of Trick Flow 23 degree aluminum heads and there instructions say "The valve cover rails on the Trick Flow heads have been raised approximately .300 in. to provide clearance for roller rocker arm poly locks. This will make the valve covers sit higher--take this into account when reassembling accessories that mount on or cross over the valve covers."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

They are true full roller rockers with the locks...So the consensus is I should be fine..I know there isn't much room under there,,,Didn't look like alot of room..But you guys feel I will be OK with the stock and not have any problems.."Great" don't think the talls would have fit with the A/C.......Thanks

------------------

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech

Well, you probably have saved yourself about 400.00 by not having to use taller valve covers and a smaller diameter power brake booster.

I actually never even attempted to run my setup with stock height valve covers so it is good to know it COULD have worked. The only thing I might me concerned about with so little clearance would be whether or not it interferes with the proper oiling of the rocker assembly through the push rod oil feed holes. The second thing would be if you are running a fairly high lift CAM in the area of .600 lift and you were using a higher than normal rocker arm ratio, you MIGHT not have enough room.

I have seen two types of taller valve covers that differ ALOT in their overall height. I have BILLET specialities valve covers and they are TALL (around 4 inches in height). I have seen other 'taller' valve covers that are around 3 inches in overall height. You are right about your AC not being able to use the STOCK brackets and the TALL valve covers. I BARELY have enough room for my alternator to clear these 4 inchers.

[This message has been edited by sr71bb (edited 07-07-2001).]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

------------------

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I believe I have the crane energizers and they have the #15 stamped on them..Im assuming 15 means 1.5 ratio..(Am I correct)...I start it I listen and feel the valve covers and no hitting(Is this the correct test)...Realy don't want to go through the headache of having to rearrange and fabricate things to get taller ones to fit unless necessary...Thanks Again

------------------

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech

You are probably fine with your current setup and 1.5 rockers.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech

With my stock covers (chrome script Chevrolet valve covers - '67 RS/SS)and Comp Roller Rockers in the stock 462 heads - I had to use a double thick gasket to get clearance.

The double thick was just enough - looks original - clears rockers -

Steve
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I used the new rubber valve cover gasket with the steel insert..Alittle thicker than stock I believe...Anyone ever use these gaskets..The guys at the speed shop highly recomended them..(But then again..what will they say..Just got these in they s*&k buy them)..Anyone ever use these before..Thanks again

------------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode