69 a/c removal - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

I have a 69 with a/c. I would like to remove the set up since I dont have the money to restore the system. Is there a big difference in an a/c firewall vs. a standard firewall? I was thinking I could run a non a/c heater box and have a little heat. If that wont work I would make covers for the firewall. Maybe some day Ill have enough for a vintage air system. Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 04:16 PM
Tech Team

On my 80 Z I started that same prodject.I found some big differences the heater core was different.The hole for the top tube is in a different place but if you remove the inside assesambly you will see the place were the other pipe would go.Also the plastic fan blades are shorter.the holes were the none A/C cover would be are different what I did is a friend of mine is really good with fiberglas so he cut the original A/C box down and redid it and it came out really nice.I hope that will help you out some
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 05:07 PM

neonblue69, what do you need to fix your present system? There isn't that many 69 A/C cars around. It's kinda nice to have a/c in a 69.
Bob

------------------
69 Coupe LeMans-Blue
Frame-Off Resto, ZZ-502/502 Crate, A/C, Griffin Rad., March Serpintine Sys., 2800 Stall with Hughes T-400, Currie 9" with 370 Gears.
http://www.geocities.com/mobiletools1/Mvc-440f.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/mobile_tools01/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 01, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage
The firewall penetrations are COMPLETELY different for a factory A/C car. Removal would involve welding in a patch panel....

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 12/22/00)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech

neonblue69,

The easiest and trickest way I have ever seen anyone "remove" the A/C is this:

I saw a guy who used the standard A/C evaporator box and cut it parallel to the firewall about 4" away (about equal to the releif where the heater fittings come out). Then, he fabricated a pannel to fill the hole, mounting a set of gauges (water temp, oil pressure, vacuum, tac, etc.). It also gave him a nice spot to mount an aftermarket ignition box. All of your diag. gauges are right there in the engine comp. while you are tuning! I thought it was very tasteful. It sure beats modifying the firewall! And you can use the original A/C heater core. It does the job by getting most of the bulk out of the way.

Now, I would never condone chopping a BB evaporator box (although they make them repro now), but small block boxes are a dime a dozen, and you could use an already damaged one.

Now for the important question: do you have the original A/C hoses? If you do, and they are in good working shape, I would like to purchase them. Let me know.

Keith
'69 RS/SS 502 (an original BB, A/C car)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input. The system just needs to be gone thru. What money I have saved I really want to pull the motor, detail the engine compartment, new wiring etc. And go thru the brakes. I dont plan on welding on the firewall in cause I want to put it back to stock. I do plan on keeping all parts. That way they stay with the car. Thanks again for all your replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode