Fuel Pump Installation???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well got tired of the almost 4 ft of rubber fuel hose in the car..(Fuel line went out of the fuel pump straight to the battery and up and over the A/C unit...A mess waiting to happen...So decided to replace the holley fuel pump with a new stock pump and the fuel line with a steel line...Here are my questions..I BELIEVE I GOT THE ARM FROM THE FUEL PUMP UNDER THE PUSHROD..What a pain...The car starts and runs well...CAN I ASSUME I GOT IT PLACED CORRECTLY UNDER THE PUSH ROD IF IT RUNS?? ...Also did not have much RTV..I used the little RTV I had and the paper gasket in the kit and torqued every thing down nice and tight..What are the chances it will leak oil???? and last question..When I removed the old holley pump I noticed that the spring on the arm was broken and just bundled up..Hardly any return pressure...Could this have given me problems..pertaining to fuel pressure??Thanks again

------------------
76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed.. # Matching..

68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 07-07-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

Send a message via MSN to the mechanic Send a message via Yahoo to the mechanic
it shouldnt leak, to little silicone is better than a lot, so long as its an even bead i prefer to install most gaskets dry or with brush-on high tack.the broken spring does not have anything to do with fuel pressure.

------------------
chris
1980 Z/28
(under construction)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 01, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

OK..you guys may find this strange...But am I correct in believing I got the fuel pump arm under the pushrod correctly..If the car runs...(Lifted the pushrod and inserted the fuel pump arm underneath..At least I believe I got it underneath can't see after the pump is pushed in) Am I correct in assuming if it runs I did it correctly otherwise it wouldn't pump inturn the car would not run....Right????... Thanks

------------------
76 LE Trans Am 455 4 speed.. # Matching..

68 Camaro R/S 327 4 speed

[This message has been edited by Badcaiman (edited 07-07-2001).]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 01:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Ah, one of my favorite topics. You can be assured that if the pushrod were not on the pump arm, the car would not run.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech

let me know if this sounds weird.
i am putting together a 327 right now, and i had to tap the pushrod into place and it wasn't about to slide out, so i just stuck the fuel pump on and that was it. am i in trouble if that rod is not sliding free in the bore?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I don't think you should have to tap it in. Light finger pressure was all I needed. It also wanted to stay put but I finger tightened a long bolt in the front lower hole to make sure it stayed put while I bolted in the pump.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 05:30 AM
Senior Tech

Like Rick D says, in the front of the block there is a threaded hold that goes into the pushrod bore. If there is too long of a bolt in this hole, it will bind the pushrod up. If there is not a bolt in this hole it will leak oil. I'd pull the rod out and make sure it is not "peened" over and that the correct sized bolt is in place.
Good luck
John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 04:10 PM
Team Member
John

Also, most factory cams are ground so the fuel pump lobe is on its base circle when the engine is set at #1 TDC, so the pushrod will go all the way in at that position - eliminates the hassle of fighting the pump lever spring against the end of the pushrod while installing the pump.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode