Converting 67 10 bolt to Positraction - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What's involved in adding the Positraction option to a standard 67 10 bolt? Here's my rear end.
http://linkpro.net/camaro/67-rearend

The stamped number is hard to read in the picture but I believe it is

PW 0120 G

which is a standard 2.73 non-posi, my car is a base 327/2bbl with Powerglide.

Is the conversion all internal? What gets changed? How big a job (for a shop) is it? How much money?

Also, if you look at that web page, please take a look at the pictures of my traction bars. They have been on the car probably 30 years. What happens if they are removed? Have they changed or damaged the monoleaf springs? As you can imagine the rea suspension doesn't have much travel and recently a rear seat passenger asked me if the car had springs!

Thanks,

------------------
Damon Linkous
'67 Camaro Z21
http://www.linkpro.net/camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
John

Hey Damon, I did this conversion but in a '68 10-bolt. I believe they are the same. You need to get a new carrier ($350+), new ring and pinion ($160+), new bearings ($100+ for kit), and I went ahead and got some forged one piece axles ($150). Have a shop put it together. I had a shop put it together and they charged me $250 or so for labor, but the guy is a friend.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Go to "engine and drivetrain" and look at the post "big gear head i need some help". I just finished explaining it there. I can get you the Torq-Line posi for $360 plus shipping. I don't like the Auburn posi. Eaton doesn't make one for the 8.2 at this time.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big gear head:
Go to "engine and drivetrain" and look at the post "big gear head i need some help". I just finished explaining it there. I can get you the Torq-Line posi for $360 plus shipping. I don't like the Auburn posi. Eaton doesn't make one for the 8.2 at this time.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Big Gear Head, I'm guessing from your reply that you have a shop. It looks like your not that far from me. From your description of the process in the other thread it sounds like you've done a few of these. How much for the complete job (parts and labor) on my '67? Please reply by email if you don't want to post your prices.

Thanks,

------------------
Damon Linkous
'67 Camaro Z21
http://www.linkpro.net/camaro
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

The labor will run around $80. I notice you have a 2.73 gear. This will require a 2 series posi. I don't know if anyone makes a 2 series for the 8.2 10 bolt. I may have to try to find a used one unless you want to change the gears too. I get around $140 for that if things go well.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode