Big Block heating problems, Belt fan or Elect. Fan? HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I like to drive around town in my 69 camaro. It is a big block producing over 500 HP. Do you think I should go to an electric fan setup or stick with my belt driven setup? I have a 17" flex fan, Griffen aluminum radiator, weiend water pump, and 160 degree thermostat. My car was over heating bad at stopping points, but this is without a FAN SHROUD! I'm going to put on the fan shroud soon here, you think this will solve my problem, or do I NEED AN ELECTRIC FAN.

I just don't know where to go from here!

Thanks for any help!
I just want to drive this beast, and let'em rip!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 06:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

I have a 72 Camaro with an app. 500 h.p. 406. I started with a Be Cool aluminum radiator, Flowkooler pump, 17" fan and new factory shroud, and tried 160 and 180 thermostats. Sitting at idle in traffic the temp approached 225 but would run great as long as you were moving. I had a Spal electric fan from another project so I figured I'd try it before switching to a good clutch fan set-up (my next option). I removed the factory shroud and installed the Spal fan set-up. The car will not go over 195 (which is where the thermostatic control turns the fan on) and as soon as the fan starts you can watch the temp drop to 180. It worked for me.

It's all about airflow and the 17" fan w/shroud at idle didn't make any. You could feel in front of the radiator when the engine was idling and feel some air movement, but not much. The Spal fan has MUCH more airflow through the radiator at idle. I think a clutch fan w/shroud would also work well.

[This message has been edited by Camcojb (edited 06-12-2000).]
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Where can I get one of these Spal fans?

Do you have any reccomendations on which one to get if this is going to be my primary fan?

Do I need a FAN SHROUD with one of these SPAL FANS?

Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

Vintage air sells spall fans and one of there own that even flows more air, but you need more room. Get yourself a Streetrodder magazine, there are a bunch of places that sells them and other types too. I'm running two spal fans on my 468 and they do the job.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 00, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech

I tried the spal fan for about a day. The fan was great. The part that I didn't like is the loud whine that it made. I couldn't even here my motor over the sound of the fan at idle. I returned it and bought two Bosch fans ($10.00 each from the junk yard) that were originally on a Saab Turbo. They are quiet and provide good air flow. I am running a 427 in a 68, with a 4 core small block radiator, so far no problems. I have not run it on any hot days though.
Rick
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 03:01 PM

Thumbs up

I myself have a 67 coupe with a 454 bb producing just over 500 hp.All i have is a bill mitchell 5 core rad,no shroud,and a mr. gasket 14" electric fan. i have never gone above 205.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode