Where does this RS headlamp part belong - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
I bought a new part for my 68 RS headlight doors called the over-center bellcrank arm and springs. It assists the doors to close properly. I got it because I don't see them on either side. I can't figure out where it's supposed to go. The pictures I have are all unclear. The book says it attaches to the slotted stud on the bottom of the headlamp housing. Do I have to take the whole mechanism out of the car to get to it? Where do the springs attach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 03:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
I'd like to help ya out winch but 67's are different because they're electric.

I know someone on here knows though. C'mon guy's, go out to the garage and look.

------------------
Steve
67 SS 396,4-sp
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 01, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech

I checked mine - but its virtually impossible to get a decent picture, and even harder to describe. However, in the Year One Camaro Catlog, 2000 edition(Cat#R8200) check out page 510. It shows a '69 RS assembly with the spring called "Head light cover return spring part#RC1702" . While the '69 is a slightly different assembly, the location & mount style of this spring is fairly close to the '68. It will at least get you looking in the right area.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 01, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I'll have to get that year catalog. I have a 98 I think (it's at home). It has an exploded view of each year but the picture of what I'm talking about is kind of off to the side so I'm not sure exactly what it attaches to. I wonder if the pivot bolt is supposed to be slotted and mine is a hardware store replacement. I don't see a slot on the end of it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 01, 02:35 AM
Tech Team

Winch,
I looked in the Rick's catalog and I can see all the parts your talking about. If you go to www.firstgen.com and download the section of the catalog with pages 140-143 you can at least look at the pictures that they have and see if it helps.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 01, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I looked at Rick's 1st gen catalog and I think I see that it goes on the very bottom of that pivot bolt. Maybe when I remove the nut I will see the flat slot up on the bolt (it looks round from the bottom). I'm not sure which way it will go on, it could go on 4 different ways. maybe that will be obvious when I do it. I'm still not sure what the spring will attach to. Hopefully, I'll find out tonight. Thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 01, 03:46 PM
Tech Team

If i am not mistaken the spring attaches to a "knocked out" tab on the headlight frame you should be able to see it..

Jeff
68 conv.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 01, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Angry

Well I think I understand where it goes but not exactly how. I happen to have another bellcrank that came with the car. On the top of the stud is a slot with threads above it that exactly fits the piece I bought. It fits together just like the shifter arms fit on a Muncie. The bad news is it can go on one of two ways and I cannot see this in the car. It's out of sight from any angle I try. I might even still have them on there although it doesn't act like there is a spring. Anyway I'm going to take one side out to replace the bushings. I assume the whole mechanism will have to come out to rebuild it. Maybe then I'll see how it goes. If that spring has to be attached after the housing is bolted back in I haven't a clue how you are supposed to get to it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 01, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Angry

OK now I'm 100% sure I uderstand it but I still haven't got it together. I partially removed the entire headlamp housing mechanism last night and found I indeed do have these parts already there. They do go on the top of the bellcrank stud back right behind the headlamp. There is a little flange that comes out of the housing on the inner side with a hole in it for the spring. However, I wrestled with that (*^&(^ thing last night for an hour and couldn't get that spring stretched over and hooked on. I finally said the heck with it and put it together to see how the new actuator would work. It works GREAT (I think). Maybe the spring is not that necessary after all. It does take a couple of seconds to begin to close whereas it start to open immediately?

Man I tell you what, my hats off to you guys that work on these things regularly. I've never seen anything so hard to work with. You can't get both hands in there anywhere. For instance the diagram shows the pin that holds the actuator to the bellcrank arm is supposed to go from the bottom up through the actuator then through the bellcrank arm then the clip inserts through that pin on top of the arm. No way. I finally put the pin in from the top which allowed me to insert the clip from the bottom. How in the world was this stuff originally assembled in the factory.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 9th, 01, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Talking

One last update. I have them both working now. One side doesn't shut all the way though. Maybe I need that spring? But I think now that you can get at it by removing the headlamp. Maybe with enough leverage I can stretch the spring and get it hooked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode