anybody have experience with holley spreadbores - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I got a holly 650 cfm spreadbore with mechanical secondaries for nothing with a manifold i just bought. Does anybody have any experience or tips for these carbs. I plan on rebuilding it before it goes in the car. I was thinking about picking up a trick kit from holley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 01:01 PM

I had one on my 69 327 camero yes grab a trick kit.Set it up as normal uesage.For tuning tips www.mortec.com. With squirter and pump cam very easy to do but all depends on your motor.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 01-02-2001).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 02:20 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I would have thought a spreadbore would be vacuum secondary... Seems like it defeats the idea of small primaries having a fixed point that the secondaries open. Can you adjust it to delay the secondaries from opening right away?

I had a vac sec spreadbore on a SB and loved it for the gas mileage when you kept your foot out of it!!!

------------------
...Dennis
The Cars:
'69 RS Convertible w/SS trim
'96 Z28SS #1679 of 2410
The Club:
Camaros Limited Nor-Cal

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was told that i was a mechanical secondaries carb, im not too familiar with spreadbores but the number on the carb is 6210-2
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 02:53 PM
Bill

j,
Had one on my 71 Chevelle back when they first came out, probably 1972 or so. Also had one on my 73 Z-28 for a long time. It is an ok carb, but they were always known as gas hogs. I think Holley came out with them back when there were not as many manifold choices etc. They do help driveability and low speed torque, as long as you keep your foot out of it. I would rather have a Q-jet anyday if I was going to use a spread bore manifold.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 04:37 AM

I have a couple 6210's. I love em! I think the spreadbore is great for a street car - you get the advantages of the nice tiny primaries (better atomization = gas mileage & low end torque), but then you have the nice big secondaries when you need to GO!

The early 6210s had a power valve on the secondary side, whereas the later ones (-2+?) had much larger jets and no power valve. I'm not sure which is preferred, I would think the power valve is better - that way the gas is only there when you really need it.

The later models (83 secondary jets) may be why the previous poster has heard bad things about them? Not sure, but I really like mine. I got them both for like $35 & $50 at a swap meet and on ebay. The trick kit cost more than the carb!

I'm not sure if you can upgrade to an electric choke with 6210s - this may be one downside to them. I'd call Holley and ask, otherwise you're stuck with the stock automatic choke.

Rob
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

where can i get a free assembly manual or the like for a 6210?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 06:45 AM

There is one on Holley's website, look at the rebuilding manual (in html or word). Also a rebuild/trick kit will have one. It's as simple as any other holley!

Rob
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 06:49 AM

BTW either way if you are just cruising around town you shouldn't get into your secondaries. I think the opening point is adjustable as well, not sure though.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode