BB radiator dilemma - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I've read alot of posts concerning radiators for BB's, here's my dilemma. I'm running a 4 core with my 396, and it's developed a leak on one of the seams. I've called several radiator shops, and the best price I've gotten to braze it and clean it up is $85.
However, after taking it out last night, I was quite surprised at how heavy that sucker is......I've never had any heating problems, even without a fan shroud, but I was thinking maybe I'd be better of going with an aluminum radiator, for the weight loss more than anything else. Besides, if this thing develops another leak, I'm really throwing money out the window. I've read post's stating you can get a new 4 core for about $189.00, and an aluminum one for just a little bit more. Any suggestions? KZ http://www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

Your current radiator should be good as new if the shop does the job right. Are they also going to remove the tanks and clean out the core tubes? Doing that would be a savings of $100 over buying a new one.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 04:48 AM
Senior Tech

Agree with gheatly as it should come back like new. Have you ever soldered. The leak could probably be fixed pretty easily. If you buy a new one don't trash the old one. I would be interested possibly

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Gheatly, Yes, I'm assuming that's what they meant by "going through" the old one, cleaning it out and pressure testing it. They would just fix the leak for 40 bucks, but I don't see the sense of taking it out and not getting it cleaned up at the same time. It doesn't look too bad inside, I've definitely seen worse. KZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode