What if the partial VIN doesn't match the official VIN plates? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Hello,

First of all sorry that I'm puttin this TAG question on this general forum, but I really need a fast reply!!
What if the partial VIN (the hidden ones located on the cowl in front of the passenger side underneath the cowl vent piece, and the one on the firewall underneath the fan motor) doesn't match the official VIN plates (on the upper dash panel at the drivers side, and the one riveted to the car)??

Does this happens frequently, or do all 4 VIN tags have to be correct (the same numbers etc). to drive the car legally?
Or is this just an example of "NO MATCHING #"??
BTW, the car hasn't got the engine and tranny! (don't know if that helps?)

Thanks

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 05:14 AM

The numbers should match. If they don't, it's usually for one of two reasons. The body was changed at one point, due to either rust or collision damage, or, the car was stolen at one time and the thief installed a "clean" VIN plate to hide the true identity. If you post both numbers, I may be able to give you an idea, assuming the car was in the USA when the change occured.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

Steve,

The car is NOT stolen or anything like that: I live in the Netherlands, and a 1st gen Camaro is rare. I found one here BUT with a Swedish license. The guy said: I've got one just the same but with a DUTCH license, you can have the dashboard (with the first VIN) and the fenders (with the other VIN), and install these....then you've got a Dutch camaro, and don't have to import the car!!!
(they are both camaros wich need a lot of work!!)

hopes this helps?
Thanx
David

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 05:39 AM
Bill

David,
That is a question best answered by your local authorities. Here in the states, it would be a mess, especially if you ever tried to sell the car.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 05:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Three of the 4 should match. The one on the dash, the one under the cowl panel and the one under the blower motor are the cars VIN. The one on the dash will start as
123379Nxxxxxx for a 6 cyl coupe made in Norwood Ohio
124379Nxxxxxx for a 8 cyl coupe made in Norwood Ohio
123679Nxxxxxx for a 6 cyl convertible made in Norwood Ohio
124679Nxxxxxx for a 8 cyl convertible made in Norwood Ohio
Replace the N with an L for a Los Angeles made car, however in the Netherlands you will probably have a Norwood VIN number. 69 VIN numbers started at 500000 and went up to about 730000. The two partial VINs will be in the format of 9Nxxxxxx (or 9Lxxxxxx) and the last 6 numbers will match the last six on the dash.

The number on the trim tag is completly different as it is a number associated with the assembly of the body of the car that was assigned by Fisher Coach. These numbers started at 100000.

The body number on the trim tag on an export car is completely different than a US built car. It will be in the format of 123479HX1xxxxx. These cars were partially built in the US but finally assembled in Antwerp. Probably won't see a number much higher than 101000 on the trim tags.

Don't know what the laws are in Europe but if the VIN on the dash has been altered (doesn't match the two partial VINs on the body)and there is no supporting paperwork from an authority having jurisdiction (such as a department of motor vehicles, or police department) then the car is usually assumed (by law enforcement) to be stolen and can be seized until proper ownership can be accertained. It happened to someone on this list recently.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 07-08-2001).]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 10:40 AM
David Pozzi

There are also hidden vin stampings to worry about.
Any suspicious rivets from swapping will trigger them looking for the hidden vin stamps.
I would keep the basic unibody with vin tag riveted to the body- together, and swap other parts.
Some states or countrys don't fuss about these old cars, others like California, look VERY CLOSELY.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 01, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

I have a related question about a missing VIN number, please check it out: https://www.camaros.net/forum/Forum6/HTML/001465.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode