68 RS lower side molding - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

Does anyone know were the clips that hold the molding to the front fenders, doors and rear quarter panels should be located? I have the 6 piece molding and clip set however, the hole and clip locations are unknown. Can someone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 11:30 PM

Please pardon the long winded reply.
I'll have to assume the mouldings didn't come on the sheet metal you now have on the car.
Install the clips into the mouldings while they are still off the car. Note very carefully the distance from either edge of the moulding to the point where the clips attach to the car. Some may be off-center slightly.
Simulate the installation of the mouldings onto the car with masking tape. Tape all of the mouldings on in the exact position they will be in once they are installed. Mark their position with something that will not harm the painted surface (1/8" masking tape).
Outline each mouldings position with the 1/8" tape being very careful to make sure it is in the proper position.
Remove the mouldings leaving only the outline of each.
Now comes the hard part. Drill the holes for the moulding attachment. Hold the drill at a 90 degree angle to the painted surface and start the drill motor at a very low speed until the bit sets itself into the metal. Make sure you have paid very close attention to the attaching point of the clips on each moulding being that all the holes in each moulding are not in a straight line. You might also note that some clips might have different size attaching points which will require different size holes.
A tip: After the holes are drilled, us a touch up brush to apply a rust preventer to the bare metal the drill bit has left.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cool

That sounds like a good way of locating the moldings, the car is not painted yet so I don't have to worry about the paint touch up.
In the package of clips there are two types a spring type push in and a flat screw in type where do these ones go?
Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 03:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

There is a template kit available from Ricks Camaro I believe.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 01, 03:58 AM

I just put the door trim on my 68 RS. Each door has 6 holes. The 4 middle ones require the spring retainers and the outside 2 require the screws. I found that there was no way in hell to push on the trim and have the clips engage into the door. I went into the inside of the door and used a flat headed screwdriver to stick into the clips and pulled them through. I found if you attached the screws in the end 1st it makes the job a little easier. If you have a sst door guard make sure that you leave room for it. Reply if you have any more questions.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 01, 05:12 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

If you install the front fender pieces you will find that new GM fenderwell mouldings will not be correct. You will have to trim the fenderwell moulding shorter so they end just above the horizontal moulding. I can't remember if the rear mouldings are the same way. You can see this fairly clearly on the lead photo on my website.

Carl

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 01, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cool

Thanks for all the help! This is the kind of info I needed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 01, 11:50 PM

It is criticle that the holes you drill for the moulding clips (the nylon ones) are in a perfect line with each other to insure the moulding will go on them later. After they are on, start the moulding either on the bottom or on the top of the clips and hit the moulding with the bottom of your hand to secure. Hit the moulding in the direction you want to moulding to go on, i.e., if it has to clear the top of the clips, hit upward, if it has to clear the bottom of the clips, hit down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 01, 02:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Question

Are these moldings mounted in different spots according to whether it is an RS or SS or a standard? I have seen them in several locations. Also, I ordered a repop set of moldings and noticed they have a slightly beveled edge. Which way do these mount? Is the higher edge on the bottom or on the top?

------------------
Cars:
68 RS/SS BB ragtop
63 Nova II ragtop
Club:
Camaro Club of Kansas City
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode