5" Autometer speedo/tach conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hey guys,

My stock speedo decided to wear out on me a few days ago....the bushings are worn and it pegs past 120 if you exceed 30 mph. It's gonna cost me $95-120 to have it rebuilt, which is as much as a 5" Autometer phantom speedo costs. I already have phantom console guages and a tach mounted on the column, so replacing the stock speedo and fuel guage with the autometer speedo and tach would look way trick! If anyone has done this, enlighten me as to how to do it. Does this require modification or fabrication? Would you reuse the orignal guage lens or not? I'm looking for help from someone who has done this before I take the plunge, since this is my daily driver. If I'm gonna spend $100 on rebuilding my speedo, I might as well spend $200 to make my dash look awesome!

Thanks.

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 02:20 PM
Senior Tech

There are a few of us who have done it.
1- drop the column out, and drop it on the front seat. Take all the screws out of the dash pod, snd slide it forward. Release the speedo cable and multi plug from the pod.
2- take it over to a bench and undo all the 1/4" bolts that are holding the gauges and circiut board to the pod case. Remove the gauges and glass.
Slide the speedo and tach in from the front, and put on the brackets. One bracket will require trimming.
wire up as per instructions and bingo.
Look in the sig, you can kinda see mine in the interior pic....
Tyler

------------------
1968 RS/SS Camaro w/ 94 vette LT-1 and T56 six speed, Cal-Tracs, Baer 12" crossdrilled brakes 17" rims, ect....
<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~speedracer68/tyler.htm" TARGET=_blank>
My 68 with LT1 and T56</A>
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 03:04 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I put the Phantom electric speed-o in mine. It cost more, but when I change the gears in the rear or change tire size (I do both from time to time)all I have to do to recalibrate the speed-o is push a button!

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech

what do you do about the turn signals in a 67 or 68 if the tach and speedo take up the entire holes in the guage pod???
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 03:22 PM
Senior Tech

also North Holleywood Speedometer and Clock can do a VDO conversion to your factory guages to replace them with more accurate internals. im pretty sure they can convert your speedo to an electronic one is you so desire
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 01, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

What color wires do you tap into in order for the lights in the gauges to come on when your interior lights are on? And for that matter which do you guys think are the best to tap into when you are doing the 4 gauge pod in the console swap/

Brad
68, 327, TH350 (assembly in progress)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

I intend to do the same conversion, I picked up a spare cluster from e.bay, incase I have to cut the cluster on installing. i plan to get of tiny green lights from radio shack and put them in the bottom of the cluster in front of the new speedo / tach

Ps I think its an orange wire that does the inst. lights

John
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 07:50 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up

Easy conversion....

Look here:
DashBoard

Did mine when I did the '97LT1/6speed install.

As far as turn singal indicators..I found two small green LEDs mounted in a chrome bezel at a local hot rod shop.
I drilled small holes in the top of the dash bezel and mounted them there. If you look closely atthe speedo in the picture, you'll see a "bump" near the steering wheel...this is one of the indicators.

SInce you won't be using the dash circuit board plug anymore, you can breakout the gauge lighting and turn signal wires there.
Also, don't forget the "brights" indicator ground wire. I forget the colors of the left and right wires for the turn signals, but they are clearly illustrated inthe various shop manuals.

As an aside, when you drop the column, don't forget the screw/bolts atthe firewall, or you will bend the heck out of the firewall to steering column cover.

Cheers,
David

[This message has been edited by 67LT1 (edited 01-03-2001).]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech

Teetoe_Jones - you're selling your car???!!! What gives...you no longer share the 1st Gen passion?

------------------
'69 Restification
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 03:51 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

The "dash circuit board plug" isn't used at all? There are no wires that complete circuits for heater, interior lights or anything else? It just supplies power to the fuel guage, guage lights, warning lights and turn signals?

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 07:32 AM
Senior Tech

There was an article in Hot Rod awhile back that I got from the Hot Rod Archives. anyone that wants a copy, I'll email it to you. It shows pictures of the process. Let me know.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67killerb, that would be great if you could send me an email copy of that article!!! Thanks!!

[email protected]

------------------
Justin
-1967 Camaro SS350

www-student.furman.edu/users/j/jtrauner
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

Cool

Bret,
As far as I can remember, the only wires in the circuit plug were the turn signal indicators, the dash lights, and the warning lights.

All I know is, after I did my gauge install, I cut off the plug to breakout the wires, and everything works. My car came with console gauges, so my fuel level sending wire went there, etc....

David
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Bret

David, thanks-that's good to know. I'm eventually converting the dash guages and adding a console pod all from autometer.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice wagon
'98 Malibu
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

According to page UPC-12, D3 of my factory assembly manual, the wires for the following items are contained in the plug: 4 illuminating lamps, brake light, right/left turn signals, gen light, fuel gauge, oil idiot light, and temp light. It does not say which wire color is corresspond to which light (that would be just to helpful).

Brad

68, 327, TH350 (assembly in progress)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode