Specs on a 302 from a 68 Z28? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone give me all the specs they can on a 68 302 motor from a Z28? For example, compression ratio, etc. I have a chance to buy one. It has been rebuilt, it just needs to be put together. How much are these motors worth? Can it power a 67 Chevelle? If not, I still have a guy that would be interested in buying it off of me if I choose to get it.

All the info I have on the motor is it's been rebuilt, block, heads, everything, he has an Edelbrock intake for it, A F/X valve covers, & that's about all I know. The block & heads need painted, but have all been blasted & magnafluxed. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 04:11 PM
Tech Team

compression ratio, 11:1. you need high octane for it. stroke, 3", bore, 4". the 302 doesnt have much for torq, but it'll get stratospheric rpm's. it isnt much for a quarter mile engine. it was built more for street. i've picked up all of this info on this site and may be mis quoting it. feel free anyone to correct me or add. My uncle has one that i wanna rebuild someday, so i'll take any info i can get

------------------
Joel
1969 Z28
LeMans Blue-White Stripes
#'s matching, P-O-P
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 04:48 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Cool

SoCal - Welcome to the better side!! Before you leave you will be chopping and channeling a first gen. It will look like an over sized viper of sorts and have a better drive train!! Your greeser buddies will never talk to you again... Only those that visit the chevelle site will understand...

The DZ302 is a high rpm motor and is a dog below 3600/4000 rpm! All its power is made on the top half of the tach. With your heaver chevelle you would be a very unhappy gear head. If the price is right and it's a true DZ302 I would say snap it up and then list it on the for sale pages on this site... It would be real cool if it found a home between the fenders of a real Z/28

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 05:30 PM
Tech Team

The 68 302 engine code was actually "MO". In my opinion, you would be better off selling the motor to an origional 68 Z owner for enough $$ to buy a "powerfull" 350, 383, 406 or whatever. Good midrange "torque" is what you need in a street car, esp. if it is a heavy one. This little mouse would be "straining" at low to mid rpm in a Chevelle.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 00, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Dennis, don't even get me started I'm gonna drive the Velle while my parents restore it. I pay for gas & such misc. items while I save for a sled that I can chop. As for the first gens, I was looking at either one of those or a Chevelle & ended up with the Chevelle. The Camaros & Chevelles are getting way too popular though because of their easy availability & availability of parts, which is why I want an older car. I like the junkyards...especially Memory Lane! Thanks guys.

PS What's yer sig at TC? The same?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 03:21 AM

I AGRRE WITH MANY STATEMENTS ON THIS SUBJECT. THE 302 IS NOT A LOW RPM MOTOR NOR DOES IT HAVE SUFFICIENT TORQUE TO MOVE A CHEVELLE IN THE MANNER YOU PROBABLY WANT IT TO. I MUST SAY THAT THE 302 IS A GOOD DRAG MOTOR. I HAVE SEEN ONE IN ACTION IN MY FRIENDS 69 NOVA SS, HE SHIFTS AT 8500-9000 RPM. RUNS 11.7 ON A BAD DAY AND ITS ALL MOTOR NO NITROUS/SUPERCHARGER. A GOOD 383 OR 400 WOULD BE BEST FOR A SMALL BLOCK.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 00, 05:17 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Thumbs up

SoCal - Team Chevelle knows me as "Fine69" not sure why I didn't use the same user ID, just turned out that way... See ya in the fast lane...

------------------
...Dennis
Topless'69
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode