carb to big? RPM air gap height? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 01, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Question

Do you think that an edelbrock 750 cfm with a comp cams Xtreme energy 268, on a 350, stock heads, and an edelbrock RPM air-gap intake manifold is a good combo or do you think I should put in a smaller carb??

Does anyone know if a RPM air-gap will fit with that combo underneath a stock 68 camaro hood and a K&N airfilter or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech

A 750 is alot of carb for a basiaclly stock 350. I would go with a 600 or 650. You will end up with better power and response.

I have a rpm-airgap. I'm pretty sure it wont fit under a stock hood. If you go to edelbrock's web site, they give the height of the intake and you can take measurements of your other intake and get a true measurement.

------------------
Jay
69 SS-350 4-speed
Hotchkis suspension
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 05:10 AM

I have a stock hood 68 Camaro with the Air Gap intake and a drop base air cleaner. It fits fine. I don't know about the K&N filter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

What will happen if I leave the 750 in? Will it bog or will the gas mileage be worse? cuz if it'll give me more power I'm all for it. I'm hoping that I'll get at least 400 horses.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 11:17 AM

If you build a 355 with 400 HP, the 750cfm will be fine. But with just an intake,carb and cam swap, you have quit a bit to go before 400+ HP.
You'll need to spend alot in heads, pistons,bottom end work,valvetrain,ignition,etc before 400+ HP comes around.

But it sounds like your off to a start.

------------------
383 Speed-O-Motive stroker kit with Speed Demon 750, RPM intake,Proform HEI dist.MSD6a box,World Products Sportsman II heads, ported and polished with 2.02/1.60 valves,64cc,TRW forged pistons with 10.7:1 compression, Comp Xtreme 284 cam,Crane pushrods, Comp Cam 1.6 full roller rockers,ATI damper, 40 series Flowmasters, 4.11 gears with TH350 and Hughes 3000 stall.Powertrax NoSlip Locker
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 01, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Don

Cool

Thanks alot, I'm planning on heads, edelbrock 70cc's, and some hyperunetic pistons, and maybe some eagle rods down the road aways.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 11:33 AM
Team Member
John

600 cfm will work fine - you'll get much better throttle response, driveability, and some improvement in fuel economy over a 750; the 750 is more than you need, and you won't be happy with it. "Bigger is better" works great for horseshoes and hand grenades, but not with carburetors. Big carburetors only make more power when the engine pumps more air through them; when that airflow isn't there, they don't meter fuel properly in around-town driving due to low air velocity in the big primaries and a resulting poor metering signal at the boosters. You'll be happy with a 600.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 01, 07:42 PM
Tech Team

68 Camaro, I believe John is right I am running a 355 with Dart sportsman heads a mild cam, Hooker headers and an Edelbrock RPM intake. There is a formula to determine CFM requirements and mine worked out to approx 535cfm. I bought a new Edelbrock Performer series carb#1406 its a 600 cfm with an electric choke. It works just fine has plenty of getup and go, it does not over fuel my engine, I have no need to buy msd ignition to burn fuel that my engine cant burn. Remember bigger is not necessarily better. Garry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode