gauges+tach - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Greg

i have a 69 ss does not have tach or gauges i like the thought of having them is the performance of the tach+gauges as good as some after market so i guess what i'm asking is for advise should i convert and install the factory goodies or put a set of after markets in thanks Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 09:33 PM
Senior Tech

My 68 had them, they were almost unreadable. I think the tach would be easier to read in a 69 but not the rest of the gauges.

Steve R.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 00, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech

I too had thought about adding a factory tach and gauges to my 1969 Camaro SS but
decided to mount some GM Performance Parts
mechanical oil pressure/water temp gauges
under the dash above my right leg. I used
existing screw for mount and they look perfect. They have a green bulb cover so the lamps match the factory speedo and fuel gauge. I also got a 5 1/2" tach and mounted it right beside the gauges. It is kind of hard to see but I didn't have to drill any holes.......

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 12:15 AM
Tech Team

I was thinking about this same thing myself. Since my car is not a number matching car and total originality isn't a high priority, I decided to go with aftermarket gauges. While looking at what was available I found this product made by Autometer.
http://www.firewheelclassics.com/console_gauge.htm
http://www.firewheelclassics.com/ima...egaugepod1.jpg

I didn't buy the white faced gauges, but instead chose Autometer's 2 1/16" Z-series gauges. I picked them up through Carparts.com and was able to use a $100 off coupon that was in Chevy High Performance magazine. I also picked up a 5" Z-series in-dash tach and 140 MPH speedo that I plan on mounting in the stock location for a semi-factory type look. The black 69 Z-28 in the August edition of Chevy High Performance did this with the Autometer Phantom gauges and it turned out quite well imo.

The gauge pod itself runs about $35-40.

[This message has been edited by jgreen (edited 10-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jgreen (edited 10-29-2000).]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 04:04 AM
Senior Tech

I've got the tach and console/gauges in my 69', and they've all been pretty accurate for me, although I haven't put too many miles on the car. Just like anything else, I'm sure the newer guages are probably more reliable and accurate, and the autometer gauges that fit in the factory console look pretty cool. If I ever have any problems with mine, it wouldn't take me long to yank them out, sell them on E-bay, and go with the autometers!

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

I've seen the issue with the Phantom gauges and they do look quite nice. I've been thinking of doing the same or build up a custom aluminum dash. Does anyone know of a bolt in aftermarket dash that retains the AC duct other controls holes?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 00, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
JC

Send a message via AIM to JC69RSZ28
I have stock gauges in my Z and have had them in several other cars, they are nice for the Factory look on a stock car, But I just installed the Autometer console gauges with the white faced Phantom Autometers and then install the factory tach, very nice combo. and they are much easier to read at a glance than OEM style. I have also converted Non gauge cars to gauges using the new kits, they work but, I think the cost of the autometers including the console piece was $225 and factory ones will set you back closer to 400 for everything. Your choice just my two cents worth.
JC

------------------
1969 RS Z28 Black, white deluxe interior,
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/corvettj
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech

JC,

I am planning on doing the same thing. Factory tach with autometer gauges. Were those electric or mechanical gauges? How hard was it to install through firewall and hookup?

Thanks,

------------------
Jay 69 SS-350
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech

I was not happy about going the stock size gages in my 69 coupe so modified the gage panel. I got the idea from Mark Stielow and it was not all that hard to do. I basically cut the entire center section of the gage panel out between the a/c vent and the climate controls. In that space I fabricated a sheet metal insert that would accomidate two 5 1/2" gages and three 2 1/16" gages. I said it was easy but still took some effort as minor welding, Bondo and painting was involved. I have detailed pictures if anyone is interested.

Joseph
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech
JC

Send a message via AIM to JC69RSZ28
Thumbs up

Easy to install the aftermarket autometers, I used mech gauges for oil and water, then fuel and volts/amps. used a minor hole in fire wall and rubber grommet and it looks nice and clean.

------------------
1969 RS Z28 Black, white deluxe interior,
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/corvettj
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 00, 04:36 PM
Senior Tech
Marty

I'd be very interested in seeing pictures of anyone's custom gauge installation.

While we are on the subject....I've got an older mechanical water temp gauge, but the cable was cut. I tried splicing it together but it doesn't read accurately. Any way to splice these?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 07:22 PM
Tech Team

I heard this mentioned in another section here. Has anyone heard of a manufacture that makes a white face stencil, that goes over the original gauge. You remove the needle and put the stencil on, and you have white faced gauge???
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 17th, 01, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

Cool

I installed the electric Autometers
here's some pics... http://albums.photopoint.com/j/album...714&a=12175170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode