second gen rear leaf springs - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 01, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Question

Guys: Need some input/suggestions on a set of
rear leaf springs for my 75 402. Car will be a weekend cruiser occasional strip use. Went to change out bushings and found original set were broke in spots. Already bought the Prothane bushing kit. Should I try a single leaf or go back to stock new multi? Of course I do not want to spend more than necessary. Also, car had a pair of old $45 Lakewood traction bars on it. Any suggestions as to something that will suit me? Thanks.

------------------
mark mccollum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 01, 05:37 PM
Tech Team

If you are planning on dragracing I would put a new set of leafsprings on. You dont want to skimp on your rear suspension when you want good hook-up off the line

80 Z28 383 350 auto
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Hollywood; new springs appear to be relatively cheap at $58.00 each side. Any suggestions for a traction aid other than the old Lakewoods? Should I try without the bars?

------------------
mark mccollum

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 01, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech

Go with the new springs and keep the traction bars for now just make sure the rubber bumper is in good shape.The closer you have it to the spring the more effective they are but the ride suffers as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech

Get new leafs. But get rid of the Lakewood traction bars. If the rubber snubber doesn't sit under the spring eye, you'll end up bending the leafs. I found out the hard way. Try Cal Tracs or CE traction bars. Cal Tracs are pricey but nice.

------------------
409SB, TH350, 10bolt 3.70
11.70 @ 117
Just gettin started!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

I am running C/E's "J" bolt traction bars now but if you go to the performance section and read some feed back in my topic "First Gen traction set-up" I think you will see that the best way to go for drag racing is with CAL-TRAC Bars.

------------------
TONY
67 CAMARO R/S CLONE, 355/turbo 350, 200hp NOS,12 bolt,etc...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Seems like new leafs is the ticket for the street. When budget permits look into the caltracs for the strip. Any guess as to if I will have wheel hop problems just "gouging"
on it on the street? Most time will be cruising. I personally do not like the look of the old style traction bars and would rather run stock multi springs on street and
get the caltracs when budget permits. I really appreciate everybody's input on this.
Nothing like real world experience. Thanks

------------------
mark mccollum
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 01, 06:00 PM

Wink

Mark,

Slapper bars are a sign that you are driving an old war horse. A vetern of the quarter mile. Kinda like a flattened nose if you box. Or a tatoo on a sailer. IMHO!! pdq67

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 01, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Cool

PDQ67:
This car also had louvers, blackouts, spinners, pinstriping, and 265 50 15 front
295 50 15 rear on cragars, air shocks, and the fancy chrome lakewood bars. It looks more like a car my generation drove to high school (80s) than an old war horse. Yes, I am going through everything to make it a tasteful and functional street machine. Thanks for the input. I wish my Navy tatoo and broken nose/teeth from the 80s was as easy to change as a set of Lakewoods.

------------------
mark mccollum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode