Fuel lines - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Over the winter I did not run my car. It is a 302 with a DZ carb. I have the original fuel lines. When I started it up and took it to a cruise night I noticed a slight smell of gas.
I inspected the fuel lines and found a slight leak at the rear inlet to the carb. I tried to tighten it and got nowhere. I loosened the fuel line and checked the gasket on the inlet fitting. The gasket was an orange colored thin metalic one. The dealer gave me a thin metal one to replace it that was all metal.
I re-assembled everthing and It leaks worse now. I purchased a flare nut set to tighten the fuel lines and I thought I had it but it is dripping again.
Is there any trick to this? It seems to be coming from the fuel line not the inlet fitting. Any help on how to stop this leak?

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 01, 03:00 PM
Team Member
John

The flare-nut fitting (pipe-to-carb inlet fitting) leak can usually be cured by applying a light coat of teflon pipe joint compound (NOT teflon tape) to the threads on the male fitting - not as a sealer, as the seal is at the flare, not at the threads, but to reduce thread friction in the plated fitting, which will allow it to tighten up more, exerting more pressure on the actual mechanical seal at the flare surfaces (assuming the seal surfaces aren't damaged).

The other potential leak site (inlet fitting to carb, which uses the thin metal gasket) can usually be cured by removing the fitting and applying a good thread sealer (like ARP) to the fine threads on the fitting and re-installing the fitting with a new metal gasket.

Both methods have worked for me in the past, with no recurrence of leakage.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Thanks JohnZ, I was thinking of teflon tape but I had heard that was a no no around carbs.I will try the sealer on both parts.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 02:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

What is the difference between teflon sealer and teflon tape?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech

Wink

Check for a crack on the carb...it may disappear when the line is not in place put when the line is installed a crack may appear under pressure. The more you play with it like replacing gaskets or tighting may even make it worse or bigger. May not be the problem but it has happened to me before.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 01, 01:44 PM
Team Member
John

Teflon tape can flake and the particles can get in your fuel system; the teflon pipe joint compound, applied sparingly (not the way Bubba does it), stays in place in the threads. Any hardware store carries the pipe joint compound with TFE (Teflon).

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 01, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

I finally had to take it to a shop. They found the thread on the inlet fuel bowl houseing was stripped. I need a new or used
fuel bowl, for the rear. I am am scouring the local carb restorers for an old one. And I am not having much luck. I was told I can order a new one from Holley. I know it won't match the plating but it will work. I need to know if the carb has a centre hung or side hung float. Any one know? They say it is a 4150 series,4053 DZ. I was told you can get a kit for this problem. Takes two or three days.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode